7 Things I Learned From Playing Uncharted

413
Games 24

The uncharted series by Naughty Dog will forever hold a special place in my heart. The story line of each game was so gripping and interactive that they almost felt real. The characters are what made me love it though. There was never this perfect being, who was never in the wrong. The line between good and bad was constantly being crossed and blurred. These characters weren’t perfect, they were flawed. Just like us. The main character Nathan Drake is an all-around likable guy, he is funny, smart, and steals things for a living. If he were any different the game would not be able to hold the same weight it does with the players. His real struggles with what’s right and what’s wrong are what open player’s eyes to all the flaws we face within ourselves. And over these past few years I think it’s safe to say we have all learned a thing or two for him and his adventures.

1. Greatness comes from small beginnings

Sic Parvis Magna, greatness from small beginnings. Any fan of Uncharted will have these words, and life Motto of Sir Frances Drake forever etched onto their hearts. Not only is this a cool catch phrase but it really is something to always remember. No matter where you come from, no matter how simple the beginning of your story is, greatness will always be within reach. Your life is what you make it, and the sky is only the limit if you never aspire to reach the stars.

2. Family doesn't always mean blood.

Through our adventures with Nate we learn that the people you can always count on are not necessarily your family. Nate has a soft spot for his friends, and has shown a countless number of times how far he is willing to go to keep them safe. To him, they are his family.

3. Being nerdy is cool

If you have ever played any of the Uncharted games you know just how big of a nerd Nate is. He knows just about everything you can think of when it comes to History. He uses this knowledge to get out of tough situations, and to show off on an occasion or two. As a history buff myself I found this personal aspect of the main character to be so relatable. It showed me that as long as you love something it really doesn’t matter what others think, all the things that do matter will fall into place when the time comes.

4. Follow your dreams, however unconventional they might be.

Nate is a treasure hunter and thief. He might not be the best role model per say, but he definitely goes above and beyond when it comes to staying true to himself. As a boy he always dreamed of grand adventures and fortunes beyond wonder. He let nothing stand in his way if it meant getting one step closer to his goal, but he never used his ambition to hurt anyone who wasn't already in a hole so deep they could never get out. Not including the theft, his morals were always aligned, and he never once compromised them for glory.

5. Don’t be afraid of the path less followed

Being an orphan, Nate hadn’t always lived a normal life. He got in to treasure hunting early on and never seemed to look back. He followed his gut most of the time, even though it got him into several sticky situations. The path he choose wasn’t always the safest, but it was the one that made his life worth living. If we can learn anything from him, it is that life was not meant to be lived the easy way. It is messy, and takes a lot of effort to really make it something worth living.

6. Greed is a nasty thing

In every game there was an iconic greedy character who was sometimes on your side to begin with before turning on you in the name or money. People will do anything for money, friend will betray friend. Nate learned this the hard way. He lost so many friends to their greed. And the greed of others could be represented in the many monstrous beings being affected by the usually cursed treasure. Nate never lost himself to greed because his friends kept him grounded. He knew sometimes it was better to lose the treasure than to lose yourself in finding it.

7. Treasure isn’t worth that much in the end

Though the purpose of the games are to find previously fictional places rumored to be filled with treasure, there was never much of bounty to be had at the end. weather it be a cursed totem, or a city eradicated by the sands, Nate never once considered taking the treasure if it ment putting the people he loved at risk. He would sacrifice the glory usually to save the lives of his friends. Money isn’t worth anything in the end, but people are irreplaceable. Nate knew that.

So weather you have big dreams, or plan to take the less beaten path, Nathan Drake is the guy to learn from. Although he might not be real, his struggles and experiences make him just as much like us then anything else could. He might not be the ideal role model, but he is defiantly someone a dreamer like me can admire. Although his story has ended, I am certain he will continue to help mold future fans of the franchise for the better.