7 Things High School Seniors Need to Hear

Your time in high school is almost over. What are you going to do with what you have left?
59

Second semester of senior year flew by. Everything happened so quickly, and looking back, I barely took the time to soak it in. It's January, and you're getting pumped for basketball season... and then you blink: it's senior night and you're literally in tears in the middle of the court.You just begin to learn your lines for your school musical, and before you know it, you're receiving flowers and candy and notes for how well you did in your final night's production.

Prom seems so far away. Spring break seems so far away. Graduation seems like years away. You blink, and it's all gone.

If I could do it again, I'd soak up a whole lot more of my final months in high school than I actually did. So, in hopes that you seniors don't waste your final months of school, I've decided to leave you with a few tips:

1. Don't act like you're too cool for all of this.

I know, I know, the senior birthday celebrations that your mom helps out with are kind of corny. Your senior pool party hosted by the parents of your class may not be the way you want to spend your Friday night, and the crown that you have to wear for your soccer senior night might make you look stupid. But you're going to miss this. And if you act like you're too cool for it all, you're going to regret it.

2. Don't waste your friendships.

You're going to start getting tired of these people- you've been together for the past four years of your life. And while it's going to be easy to get upset over petty things, know that your friendships won't be the same after you graduate. You're going to make new, great friendships in college (which is definitely great), and your high school friendships are going to fade. Soak up your time with your friends while you have it.

3. Love on your parents.

You think they're overprotective, boring, and embarrassing. You'd rather spend your Saturday night out with your friends than at home watching a movie or playing cards with your family. However, I can promise you that you're going to find yourself two months into college curled up in your bed, simply wanting a hug from your dad and some of your mom's lasagna. So, stay in one night and play Scrabble with your mom. Say no to the bonfire with your friends and watch James Bond with your dad. You're going to look back one day and be thankful you did.

4. Don't date just to date.

You're going to end up broken hearted when you realize that the star quarterback wants to enjoy his freshman year... without you. Why put all of this time and effort into something that's going to leave you hurt? I know, it's nice to feel loved and admired. It's nice to have a distraction from the fact that your high school years are almost over. But I can promise you that it's not worth it.

5. Appreciate your teachers.

Your teachers in college won't brush off the fact that you forgot to turn in your essay the day it was due. Your college professors won't know your name, they won't make an effort to get to know you, and they definitely will not be as kind and comforting as your high school teachers are. They truly care about you and know your name, and I promise you're going to miss that when you're in college.

6. Be present.

Don't go to your future college town every other weekend. Don't hide away in your room on your phone/laptop every night. Don't count down the minutes until graduation. Soak up your time with your friends. Make a conscious effort to be intentional with those around you. Your surroundings are going to be completely changed in a few months, and you're going to realize you took for granted everything you ever knew.

7. Have fun.

Sure, colleges still look at your grades. Sure, a clean room is better than a messy one. And yeah, eating carrots over donuts is usually pretty beneficial. BUT YOU'RE A SENIOR. You're about to have to spend some Friday nights in your accounting book. In college, you're going to find yourself going from one meeting to a birthday party to a study session all in one night. Senior year is so, so fun. Take advantage of the fact that this semester is yours. What are you going to do with it?

You don't have to take any of my advice. You might just think I'm some random college girl who knows nothing, but I've been in your shoes. There are a lot of things I regret from my second semester of senior year, and my wish is for you to live yours to the fullest. Graduation is closer than you think- what will you do with your time left?