7 Things We Forget To Thank Our Roommates For As Told By Chandler Bing
popular

Here are 7 things that you may have forgotten to thank your roommate for.

1544
Playbuzz

We remember our first day of college and the anxiety of meeting our first roommate.

Maybe you were the first one there, maybe you weren't. Maybe you got there just to find out that your roommate decided not attend that school anymore. Whatever the case, usually meeting your roommate is a pleasant experience. If you have a good roommate and form an amazing relationship, treasure it because you are one of the lucky ones!

Now, if you had a terrible roommate experience this article probably won't apply to you. But then again maybe it might.

1. Thank you for not being the roommate from hell.

We've all seen movies and heard stories about absolutely horrifying roommates. I remember very vividly all of the previews for "The Roommate" and I will totally admit to being terrified to start college for that reason. Yeah that's a bit extreme, but a roommate that doesn't emphasize on cleanliness would get to me too.

Whatever your pet peeves are, if you had a great roommate they are understanding and work with you to find a calm balance.

2. Thank you for not judging my quirks.

I am such a little weirdo, as many of us millennials are. We all do, say, eat, watch things that probably seem a little weird to our roommates. Prime example: I usually preferred to start my morning listening to music from my iPod.

I used headphones so as not to be the aforementioned roommate from hell.

I would go about my morning, which would usually involve me dancing through the kitchen or down the hallway. I'm sure there were many times that my roommates could have intentionally scared me or taken videos for the future, but they didn't.

If a roommate wanted to walk around in their underwear, or use a blanket as a cape, who cares?

3. Thank you for tolerating and indulging my random needs and desires.

I am lucky enough to live near Wawa and Wegmans country. You know what that means? If I want to go there at a ridiculous time of day or night to get myself a treat, I am fully capable of doing so.

BUT, where is the fun in doing that alone? I'll admit to being a bad influence on my roommates late at night. They would be attempting to be studious, or go to bed at a decent hour, or have a long talk with their significant other.

You know what put a stop to all that? My late night cravings.

But even if they had no real desire to go, they went. Because they knew I would enjoy the outing way more if I had my people at my side.

4. Thank you for listening to my emotional ramblings, no matter how ridiculous they were.

Whether we were sober or not-so-sober, we would have the more than occasional deep conversation. We all had fears and struggles that we were dealing with.

Whether it was a fear of failure, fear of being alone, or being afraid to succeed, we were all there for each other. There were no judgments or jokes (unless we absolutely had to lift a depressing atmosphere). I would be half asleep and someone might crawl into my room in need of a pep talk.

Or my roommate may have been elbows deep in an assignment due tomorrow, but they would let me sit there and ramble on about whatever was on my mind.

5. Thank you for being an additional voice of reason when mine failed me.

There are times when we all think we know best, but probably don't. All of those questions where you second-guess yourself.

You know the questions.

Should I really talk to the guy that obliterated my heart again? Should I really do this extra shot? Is it really a good idea to drunk text my significant other? I really don't need to go to this class today, right?

Most of the time roommates are good at adding a buffer between yourself and stupidity. But maybe not, if they'd rather see how far you'll go.

6. Thank you for driving me places when I didn't have access to my own car.

I was not one of those lucky individuals to have a car when I went away to college. (Actually I didn't even have my license yet, but no need to discuss that.) My parents were close enough to bring me things I needed and get me to doctors appointments I had made in advance.

But they have their own lives going on at home, and their schedule probably doesn't mesh too well with yours. Asking mom to drive an hour and a half just to go to the grocery store is a little excessive don't you think?

7. Thank you for giving me the best time of my life.

I am fortunate enough not to question that the college decision I made was right for me. Sure I had some bumps making friends, but that only made the real ones shine. If you're willing to live with me for more than one year, or stick with me after a short amount of time, that says a lot.

I would not change any decision I made that let me to all of you. If you read this, you know who you are.