7 Struggles New Dog Parents Face

7 Struggles New Dog Parents Face

Everyone thinks it's so fun to have a pet in college.. I'm here to tell you that it is but it also isn't sometimes.

6
7 Struggles New Dog Parents Face
https://www.pexels.com/photo/two-yellow-labrador-retriever-puppies-1108099/

It's not as easy as it seems. Here are some struggles you'll face, but it's worth it.

Potty Training

This is the HARDEST thing to do. If you get a puppy in college I wish you all the luck in the world. You have to have patience, dedication and the time to train them. PS If they've already peed anywhere in your apartment that the smell won't come out from, I also wish you luck.

Trusting your dog

I know this one sounds weird but hear me out first. It's really hard to trust your dog to stay home alone. It has taken me 4 months to finally trust my one year old dog to stay alone in my room, out of his cage. Even then though, he's managed to do some damage.

Dog Proofing Your Place

Dogs are like kids. Actually I mean babies. They will get into anything and everything at first until they're taught that they can't.

Regular Training

This either costs money that a lot of us don't have or aren't really willing to drop on training or a lot of time and patience. I honestly ended up leaving my dog at my parents house for almost two months and they helped me out with training my dog to do basic commands like "sit."

Other Dogs

If you have a small dog you're probably always worried about bigger dogs hurting him/her. Don't worry I'm in that same boat. My dog lives with a way bigger dog that's still a puppy and doesn't know the harm she can cause a smaller dog. It is hard. You don't want to limit their play because interaction is great for both dogs, but you also don't want your dog to get extremely injured. My best advice is to supervise their play. That way they can still have a good time but on your watch.

The Smell Of Dog Poop

Let me tell you, it's gross. Sometimes I feel like I might puke when I pick up my dogs poop. It's a huge adjustment but also so is baby poop and technically your dog is your baby.

Dog Farts

They are deadly. My little 20 pound dog farts all the time and those can fill up the whole room with stink. It is the grossest thing ever but after a while you get really used to it.

Dogs are a lot, there's no sugarcoating that. They can be a pain sometimes but I promise you that the love they have for you is like nothing else in this world.