7 Things You Didn't Know About St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Families never pay a bill for their medical treatments.

82

One of the best parts about being in a Greek organization is the philanthropy-- and I'm super happy that my sorority gets to work with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

I am constantly amazed by the work St. Jude does and am so thrilled we get to help bring smiles to sweet children every day.

Seven things you probably didn't know about St. Jude:

1. About 7,800 active patients are seen at St. Jude yearly, most of whom are treated on a continuing outpatient basis as part of ongoing research programs. The hospital also has 78 beds for patients requiring hospitalization during treatment. St. Jude has treated children from all 50 states and from around the world.

2. The hospital’s daily operating costs are $2 million, which are primarily covered by public contributions. St. Jude has more than 3,600 employees.

3. Families never pay a single bill for their child's treatment. This includes everything from food to transportation to all medical bills.

4. Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20 percent to more than 80 percent since it opened more than 50 years ago.

5. Approximately 75 percent of the budgeted costs of St. Jude are covered by public contributions.

6. You can give in so many different ways. Check out their website to learn more.

7. TriDelta has raised over $45 million for St. Jude when they adopted them as their national philanthropic partner in 1999 and has set a goal of raising $60 million in 10 years to help more children and their families.

And it's easier than you think to help out.

Donate here, or come support TriDelta's DHOP event on Saturday, October 29 from 11-1 in the Forum at the University of Richmond. It's all you can eat pancakes, a pancake eating contest, games, and more, and all of the proceeds go to help children at St. Jude! Tickets are $8 in advance, $10 at the door! Venmo @DHOP4StJude this week!

Check out the Facebook event here-- We can't wait to see you there!