7 Signs You Are An Only Child

7 Signs You Are An Only Child

You are the definition of independent.

47
7 Signs You Are An Only Child
Seattle Times

Being an only child is such a unique thing and most people do not understand it. Well, as someone who is an only child, I am here to tell you that not all only children are spoiled and not all of us had a boring childhood like some may think. Here are seven sings that you are an only child:

1. You go into culture shock when you move into your college dorm.

Having someone constantly be around you is unsettling, even if you are lucky enough to actually like your roommate(s). You are so used to having your own space and you need alone time to be able to function. Therefore, living in a dorm never really feels "normal" and you cherish any moment you get to yourself. Also, you dislike sharing a bathroom with random people because you have only ever had to share a bathroom with two people in your entire life at most. Needless to say, you love moving back home into your room for the Summer and breaks.

2. You are the definition of independent.

When you do not have any siblings to "protect you" or "look out for you" at school or in general, you learn how to do things for yourself-- especially since you do not have to worry about "looking out" for a sibling either. You never had a sibling go to the same school as you, or stand up for you, or teach you important things about the schools you went to. You had to learn all those things for yourself because both you and your parents were entering new territory every time you did something new. You were on your own every time you tried something new. Which classes to take, which teachers to avoid, which school sports teams or clubs to be a part of, and always having to figure our your homework by yourself were all realities of growing up that you had to figure out on your own because your parents were just as clueless as you were. Since your parents could not be around all the time, you also learned how to cook at least basic things for yourself and how to clean and do household chores. You have been doing things by yourself for years and the last thing you need now is someone nagging you, constantly checking on you, demanding that you spend all of your free time with them, and etc.

3. You are really close to your pets.

Obviously not every family has pets but families that have one child and at least one pet create such a strong bond. The bond between a pet and an only child is unbreakable and filled with so much love. Personally, this was-- and still is-- very true for me. I had several pets through the years-- multiple cats, turtles, and fish-- and they were and still are my lifesavers. When I would come home to an empty house sometimes after school, my cat would always greet me and be happy to see me and that was a wonderful thing to see after a long day at school-- and she still does this whenever I come home. This may sound strange to some people but my cat Samantha has been in my life for so long that we trust each other and if I had a bad day or did not want to talk to anyone, she would always "be there for me." She can always tell when I am sick or really upset and she actually tries to comfort me which is amazing. I know that many people feel this way about their pets but when you are growing up without any siblings, a pet can become an invaluable and wonderful confidant who really is a member or your family.

4. You really value your friends.

As an only child, friendships are so important. Friends can really become like siblings to you and that is an awesome thing. You are so devoted and loyal to your friends because you care about them so much. Growing up, when you went home at the end of the day, you did not have people who were your age to talk with and confide in. You relied heavily on your friends for support. This is why only children invest so much in their friendships and have so much to offer in a friendship. Of course when friends betray them, it is extremely devastating, but it is so rewarding when the friendships stay strong. This is still very true today.

5. You either love to share because you never got to as a child while you were at home, or you hate it.

Ah, sharing. This is something that probably is not second nature when it comes to only children and their personal belongings. At school, obviously everyone is taught to share but as you get older and you live with other people in college or in an apartment, sharing your household or personal belongings probably does not feel natural. Personally, I like sharing certain things with my friends or lending them things if they need it, but when it comes to sharing a lot of things with the people I live with without my permission, I do not really like it. I have never shared clothes a lot with anyone like sisters do. It just is not something I am used to. When I was growing up, I loved sharing things with my friends because I never had to at home, and I still do but there are just some items I do not want to share. Only children just have a complicated relationship with sharing-- but do not hesitate to ask us to borrow anything or for help. I am a very generous person, but please do not use my stuff without asking or assume that I want to share everything.

6. You like to watch television.

When you got bored with your parents and pets, you probably watched quite a bit of television while you were growing up. I know I did. Add in the fact that my parents loved television and I just ended up watching it frequently. This is not a bad thing, I still love watching television and have learned a lot from it. I also listened to music and read a lot as a child-- and still do. It was always a good way to pass the time and now that Netflix is so popular, I can continue my love for TV in college too.

7. You are really close with at least one of your parents.

Only children have such a unique relationship with their parents. After all, for years they were the only other people living in our house with us. At least one of your parents is probably like one of your best friends because you've spent so much time with them. Your parents were tough on you because they cared about you so much and wanted you to succeed. They devoted so much attention and love to you that you want to make them proud so badly. Personally, I am especially close with my mom and I talk to her in some way or another everyday because she has helped me through so much. She is always there for me-- that kind of bond does not just go away when you go to college.