7 Shows You Should Binge On Netflix

7 Shows You Should Binge On Netflix

Seriously. Get started now.

572
7 Shows You Should Binge On Netflix

I love television. I mean, I really love television. I can watch a show that I love five times over and never get bored with it. I actually live for re-watching shows because I discover something new every single time -- links between episodes and characters, goofs, visible film equipment, shadows, continuity errors, etc, etc. I also really love recommending shows to people. I love introducing people to new characters and stories, and I love watching them watch my favorite things unfold.

So, that said, here are 7 television shows (in no particular order) you should binge on Netflix.

1. Parenthood (NBC)

Parenthood, from the creator of Friday Night Lights, is the absolute perfect blend of family drama, romance, and humor. With some of the best casting I've seen, Parenthood chronicles the lives of four siblings and their families through tumultuous relationships, adoption, illness, children going to college, death, and the struggles of parenthood (hence the title). It will make you laugh and cry, and make you wish you had more siblings. Put emphasis on that "cry" because Mae Whitman and Lauren Graham have the most powerful on-screen crying abilities I've ever seen. Welcome to the Braverman clan; you'll never want to leave. #BYOTissues

2. Friday Night Lights (NBC)

You should have seen this coming after I name-dropped it in the Parenthood description. The predecessor of Parenthood, Friday Night Lights is the show I never thought I'd love because it is far too similar to the high school I suffered through: football, Southern, football, and (you guessed it) football. However, I could not have been more wrong because, on top of all the football, the show also has incredible casting, the relationship goals that are Eric and Tammy Taylor, high school angst personified, love, loss, and a football team that you'll cheer harder for than you did for your own. Oh, and bring tissues. #ClearEyesFullHearts

3. The X-Files (Fox)

I'll admit, when I decided to watch The X-Files, I was a bit of a skeptic, a.k.a. a Scully. However, by mid-season one, I was a believer, a.k.a. a Mulder. This show has episodes that, no joke, scare me to the bone, episodes that make me laugh so hard I cry, episodes that make me question everything I believe in, and episodes that make me wish I'd double-majored in criminal justice and political science. Not only that, the show lead me to research the existence of extraterrestrials and I officially believe that "the truth is out there." Mulder and Scully have one of the most swoon-worthy, frustrating, and realistic relationships television has ever portrayed and the characters are so three-dimensional, you don't even need glasses. #IWantToBelieve

4. The Fall (BBC/Netflix)

The Fall is what Jamie Dornan should be known for, instead of Fifty Shades of Grey. Seriously. The Fall is a European crime drama and a psychological epic about a serial killer and the cop trying to catch him. It's dark, twisted, and contemplative, and it throws curve-balls that even Babe Ruth couldn't hit. While you know who the killer is from the first episode forward, the thrill of the fact that he continues to live a normal life, raise his children, and go to work all while evading the police is mind-blowing and I personally couldn't turn away from it. Plus, anything Gillian Anderson does is almost immediately an A+ from me. #FallingForTheFall

5. One Tree Hill (CW)

While One Tree Hill isn't the highest quality show on the list, it is one of the hardest to turn off. It was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me at first because of its angst and its campy-ness, but by season three, I honestly couldn't go a day without watching at least two episodes. OTH is an example of teen drama in its prime. The obstacles these characters face in high school (teen marriage??) are very over-the-top and far-fetched to be high school problems, but that's half the fun. You really will fall in love with the characters, even the ones you think you'll always hate, and you won't be able to turn away, even when you know you should. Brooke Davis will be your woman-crush everyday and Nathan Scott will be your dream boy for the rest of your life. Also, it's Chad Michael Murray in his prime and what twenty-something girl doesn't miss that? #GoBrookeYourself

6. Freaks and Geeks (NBC)

Set in the 80's and made in the 90's. What more do you really need? Freaks and Geeks, the brainchild of the beloved comedic genius Judd Apatow, was unfortunately way before its time and cancelled after one season. But, that doesn't mean it's crap, it means that it's more easy to binge-watch. It's the most accurate representation of adolescence I've ever watched. Overbearing parents, rebellion, self-identification, John Francis Daley, Busy Philips. Freaks and Geeks has it all. Not to mention it's pee-your-pants funny, at least to me, and it has the potential, if you let it, to help you truly love being yourself. Plus, the episode titles are great (if you're into that sort of thing). #DiscosAndDragons

7. Lost (ABC)

In a nutshell, Lost is the (slightly) more tame, tropical, mid-2000's version of Game of Thrones. You never really know who's going to live or die and so much information is hurled at you each episode that you sort of have to watch with subtitles to keep up, but its brilliant and moving. The writing is a force to be reckoned with and the direction is effortlessly perfect. The ending will leave you in a puddle of your own tears whether you love it or hate it, which seems to be about a 50/50 split between fans, and numbers will take on a whole new meaning for you. Jack is a complex protagonist, as are most, and there will be moments where you absolutely hate to love him and moments where you absolutely love to hate him. Also, bring tissues. #4815162342

PSA: The only reason Buffy the Vampire Slayer isn't on this list is because it is being removed from Netflix on April 1st. I HIGHLY recommend it, however, and urge you to find it on another streaming service because, while season one is a bit of a bitch to get through, you will not be disappointed.