7 Virtual Extracurricular Activities To Pursue Amid The Pandemic

Remote extracurricular ideas for high school & college students

49
book, laptop

Become a Crisis Counselor

Crisis counselors respond to those reaching out for help through the crisis text line. The free training program provides you with 30 hours of instruction in crisis management. There is a 4 hour per week minimum time commitment until 200 hours is reached. To apply, you must be at least 18 years old, submit two references, have internet access, computer, and a U.S. social security number.

VIPKID Teacher

VIPKIDS pays $22/hour to teach English online to children in China. You must meet the following requirements to be a VIPKIDS teacher: have a bachelor's degree, be from Canada or the United States, and speak English as your first language. VIPKID provides teachers with the curriculum that aligns with US Common Core standards, so lesson planning is not required.

Upwork Freelancing

Upwork is a freelancing platform that connects freelancers and employers. High demand skills such as video editing, photoshop, voice-over talent, and logo designing can help you land a job on Upwork. If you do not have any specialized skills, some employers seek virtual assistants, social media managers, and product reviewers, which almost everyone can do after basic training.

Purse a Remote Internship

During the COVID-19 pandemic, almost every in-person internship has been canceled. However, you can land remote internships using networking sites like LinkedIn. Another alternative is cold-emailing start-up companies; attach a resume, cover letter, discuss relevant skills, and explain why you are interested in pursuing an internship at that company.

Passion Project

Starting a passion project Includes founding an organization, starting a business, creating YouTube videos, publishing articles, writing a book, and more. These may seem intimidating at first, but there are plenty of resources to help you get started. Before you begin your passion project, plan thoroughly, and ensure the project aligns with your interests.

Take Free Online Courses

Coursera and Edx offer free online courses from prestigious universities such as Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley, and UCLA in almost every subject from Machine Learning to Biostatistics. This is a great way to explore your academic interests & passions. My personal favorite is John Hopkins University's COVID-19 Contact Tracing course, because of its relevance to the current state of the world.

Become an Odyssey Content Creator

Odyssey is a journalism platform that allows creators to creatively express themselves through writing. Content creators publish weekly or biweekly articles, depending on the Odyssey community you write for. Reach out to a local community manager/representative, DM your local Odyssey community Instagram page, or fill out the "contact us" form on the Odyssey website.