7 Reminders From Elle Woods As Your Semester Begins

'Legally Blonde' as a college guide.

29

"Legally Blonde" is one of the most empowering comedies of all time. We see Elle realize her true potential and chase her dreams, even if it started with her chasing a man. As we get ready for the semester, there are several lessons that we can learn from Elle.

1. Set goals and reach them.

Once Elle had a set a goal for herself, she did not rest until she reached it. You are capable of more than you can imagine; you just have to put in the hard work. Set some goals for yourself. Make some of them achievable, like making it to class on time everyday for a week, and make some of them more difficult, like run a 5k or maintain a 4.0 for the semester. Write them down, and keep yourself accountable.

2. Make your health a priority.

Letting yourself go physically can be easy. You may not even realize it until your clothes are too snug. Take advantage of the gym. If you are worried about not having enough time, study or do reading assignments while on the bike or treadmill. Take a walk with a friend to catch up on each others lives. Take the long way to and from class. Don't overindulge in the cafeteria. Just because they have dessert does not mean you need to eat it. Make smart food choices.

3. Don't lose yourself trying to fit in.

Being yourself is something that should be easy for us "adults," but college campuses are full of people faking it to find friends. Don't do this. You have too many things to worry about in college to be fake. Focus on genuine friends who accept you for you. They may be few and far between, but they will be the ones who will stand next to you on your wedding day and visit you when you move away.In the words of Vivian, her rival turned bestie in the musical remake of the movie, "(Elle) taught me and showed us all that being yourself never goes out of style."

4. Be proud of yourself.

Don't be cocky or obnoxious, but take pride in the work that you do and reward yourself. If you worked your butt off on that paper and you get an A, hang it on the mini fridge. If you studied hard and aced a test, take yourself out for ice cream. College is hard and competitive. It is so easy to get bogged down in the failures, so take a moment to enjoy the success.

5. Study hard.

Either you or your parents are paying good money for you to be in college, so do the work. Being a student is your current occupation. Good grades reflect good work ethic. Some classes will be boring, so just get through them. The more professors you impress, the more people you have to write recommendation letters for your internships, grad schools, and job applications.

6. Keep track of your finances.

Spending in college can be sporadic. You can spend no money one week and then spend $100 the next week at Target. I'm truly awful at budgeting, but I have learned some things. When you are at school, you probably do not need to go clothes shopping. Your dorm room closet is cramped enough without another outfit or pair of shoes. Save your money for going out to dinner with your friends or seeing a movie. Remember that you still have to buy textbooks the next semester.

7. Give new people a chance.

It is easy to try and find friends that are exactly like your friends from high school, but branch out! There are so many people you can meet at college. Open yourself up to the meet new people. Don't close off after the first impression. Make friends and be a friend.

Elle was clearly doing something right. She graduated as valedictorian of Harvard Law (I know, I know, it was just a movie ... )

Go reach for the stars!