7 Recipes You Can Make In Your Dorm Room

Recipes for the crafty college student

136
Gemma's Bigger Bolder Baking

Let's be honest: college food gets old quickly. But if you're living in a dorm, your non-dining hall options might be limited to easy mac and hot pockets. When you're living with just a mini fridge and a microwave, it can be hard to add some variety to your menu. But if you're willing to get creative, you can make these recipes in your microwave in no time at all.

1. Eggs in a Nest

Ingredients:

– 2 slices of bread

– 2 eggs

– cookie cutter

Using your cookie cutter, make a whole in the middle of the bread. Crack an egg into the hole. Microwave for a minute at medium power, then in 30 second intervals until the egg is cooked to your liking. Repeat with the other slice of bread and egg.

2. Bacon Breakfast Hash

Ingredients:

– 1 large russet potato

– 2 slices bacon

– 4 eggs

– 1 green onion

– salt and pepper to taste

– optional: rosemary or thyme

Cut up your potatoes into small cubes and separate into two microwave safe plates. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes, then add salt, pepper, and any herbs over the potatoes. Cover tightly with saran wrap leaving one corner open, and microwave for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the 4 eggs. Cut up the bacon into small pieces and add to the egg. Dice up the green onion. When the potatoes are done, pour half of the egg mixture over the potatoes and microwave at medium power for 1 minute. Microwave at medium power in 30 second intervals until the eggs are cooked. Top with green onions. Repeat with the other plate of potatoes.

3. French Toast

Ingredients:

– 2 slices of bread

– 1 egg

– ¼ cup milk

– 1 tsp vanilla extract

– cinnamon for garnish

Mix the milk, egg, and vanilla extract together. In a small microwave safe bowl, tear one of the slices of bread into pieces and fill the bowl. Drizzle the egg mix over the bread. Repeat with the other slice of bread. Microwave in the oven for 2 minutes, or until it’s no longer runny. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

4. Microwave Salmon

Ingredients:

--1 – single portion salmon filet

--salt and pepper

--2 tablespoons mayonnaise

--1-2 tablespoons sriracha sauce

--2-3 fresh cut lemon slices

--1 tablespoon parsley

Rinse salmon filet with cold water and pat dry. Place the salmon skin side down in a microwave save container. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and sriracha sauce. Generously spread the mayonnaise mixture on top of the fillet. Add lemon slices and parsley. Cover the dish tightly with microwave safe plastic wrap. Microwave the fish for 3.5 minutes. Check the center of the filet for doneness with a fork. If there is any uncooked fish, microwave for another 30-45 seconds. Garnish with additional parsley and lemon wedges.

5. Blueberry Muffin With Streusel Topping

Ingredients:

Muffin:
--1/4 cup flour

--2 tbsp granulated sugar

--1/8 tsp baking powder

--1/16 tsp baking soda

--3 tbsp fat free milk

--1 tbsp vegetable oil

--7 fresh blueberries

streusel topping:
--1 tbsp cold butter, chopped into tiny pieces

--1 1/2 tbsp flour

--2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar

--1/8 tsp cinnamon

Mix everything listed in muffin ingredients except blueberries into a microwave safe mug with a small whisk. Drop blueberries in, spreading them out. In a small bowl, mix streusel ingredients, until butter pieces are completely coated in the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle small crumbles of streusel on top of muffin batter, spreading out evenly across surface.

Cook in microwave for about 1 minute. Let cool for a few minutes before eating.

6. Mug Omelette

Ingredients:

--2 large eggs

--1 tbsp flour

--1 tbsp skim milk

--1 tbsp low-fat grated cheese

--2 tbsp diced green bell pepper

--2 tbsp diced onion

--½ a Perfect Portions Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast fillet

--Salt/pepper

In a small bowl (or directly in your mug), crack and beat your eggs with a fork.Stir in the flour, milk, cheese, and diced vegetables. Chop your chicken breast half into small pieces. Add to your egg mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture into your mug. Microwave for 1-1/2 min to 2 min.

7. Mug Pizza

Ingredients:

--4 tablespoons all purpose flour

--â…› teaspoon baking powder

--1/16 teaspoon baking soda

--â…› teaspoon salt

--3 tablespoons milk

--1 tablespoon olive oil

--1 tablespoon marinara sauce

--1 generous tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese

--5 mini pepperoni or other topping

--½ teaspoon dried Italian herbs (basil or oregano will work)

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a microwavable mug. Add in the milk and oil and mix together. There might be some lumps, but that is okay. Spoon on the marinara sauce and spread it around the surface of the batter. Sprinkle on the cheese, topping, and dried herbs. Microwave for 1 minute 10-20 seconds, or until it rises up and the topping are bubbling.

Hopefully some creative dorm room cooking will keep you from the horrors of dining hall food or spending all your money on fast food just to get something fresh. Being a student is tough, but with a little ingenuity and a microwave, you can spice up your meals, even from a dorm room.