7 Reasons Why Thanksgiving Is My Favorite Holiday

Oh my gosh, FOOD!!

11
Kamy Lanham

Thanksgiving has always been, in my opinion, the most underrated holiday of the year. Everyone is either obsessed with Halloween and its short-lived glory or running straight for the Christmas decorations that they start putting out at the end of July. And to be completely honest, I find that so disheartening. So, I made a list of all of the reasons why Thanksgiving is awesome.

1. Food - obviously

So, obviously everyone loves the food. Whether you’re vegan or a straight carnivore, the food is always amazing. A day dedicated to food is a day worth celebrating

2. Family - because well duh

I mean, there's always Christmas dinner, but I always find that the presents distract from the important part; spending time with your family. Thanksgiving doesn't involve presents or stockings or listening for reindeer. It isn't overpowered by crazy costumes and candy. There’s no birthday cake and a demand for all eyes to be on the birthday boy. It is literally just a day to spend time with your loved ones and enjoy food. You can talk and catch up, or reminisce. It is indescribably beautiful in all of its chaotic glory.

3. Friends - extended family

Now, if you’re like me you might not have been able to go home for Thanksgiving. It's always a bummer but I am so glad I got to experience a couple of Thanksgivings away from home. I got to make dinner for “Friendsgiving" with people I had grown to love and adore. We made our own little family when we couldn't be with our own and that bond is something I will cherish for the rest of my life. Friends are the family we get to choose, so why not spend Thanksgiving being thankful they chose you too?

4. Food - because it deserves two

I mean… I think it deserves an honorable mention. Food is always good.

5. Memories

I can’t tell you how many memories have been made on thanksgiving day and shared for years to follow. Whether it be the year we almost had to order take out because of an incident involving a dog and the ham we worked hours on or the annual family football game, there are always memories and traditions being made. Recipes being passed down and cheeks being squeezed, there is always a reason to smile and remember on Thanksgiving.

6. Buildup to Christmas

I mean, y’all know I had to go there. For people in school, it's a great break before finals. For kids, it's a reminder that Santa is watching and if they want that present they've had their eyes on all year, they need to start being a little nicer to mom and dad. It’s a great day to get everyone in the mood for the holiday festivities. (And the day after it's officially okay to put up the tree.)

7. Grateful Moments

Every Thanksgiving, there is always one moment where I am overwhelmed with the thought that I am so beyond blessed to have a beautiful family surrounding me and yummy food on the dinner table. I look around, watching my family and listening to their crazy-loud voices carry throughout the house and I am just in awe. There are times when I have a headache or my stomach is upset and all I want to do is go home and take a nap in my comfy bed, but in these moments, it all becomes so clear that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. There is always someone who is praying for what you already have, and I always try to remind myself of that a little more on Thanksgiving. It’s one of the only times of the year that my family gets together and just enjoys each others company. And to me, that's the most beautiful feat in the world. Nowadays, schedules are crazy and people seem to run on full speed 24/7. We tend to take our time spent with each other for granted the rest of the year. Thanksgiving is the only day we all kinda slow down and realize how thankful we really should be. And that is why Thanksgiving is the best holiday of the year.

So, in honor of this week and it's amazing festivities, be sure to take a minute to reflect on everything you're thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!