7 Reasons To Be An Art Major

7 Reasons To Be An Art Major

If you’re thinking about majoring in art, but not 100 percent positive, then you’re in luck.
235

If you tell people that you're thinking about being an art major, many will tell you to think of a Plan B. Many people believe that you have to be a famous artist to make a living, and the odds of that happening are very slim. They will try to convince you to major in something else, and just have a minor in art. However, becoming an art major is one of the best decisions I've made in my life. Here are just a few reasons why you should become an art major.

Most of the art professors are pretty chill.

So far, all of the art professors that I’ve had are pretty relaxed. All of them have us call them by their first names, and taking a field trip to the park is a normal occurrence. They are understanding if you overslept your art history final, and might even make you some food once in a while.

It keeps your brain healthy.

Making art has been proven to help relieve stress, improve self-esteem, and help with problem-solving ideas. Art is a form of meditation, helping you relax from all of those late-night cram sessions for your Gen-Ed classes. Also, thinking creatively will help you think more outside of the box, and will help you more in jobs, classes, and future situations overall.

Make art for your first apartment.

One of the first things people do when they graduate from college is to get an apartment. But we are pretty broke and don’t have the money to buy $40 décor here and there. With an art major, you can make art for school projects, then use them to decorate your own place. It’s almost like free art… almost.

You may get to travel.

With conferences and museums to go to, there is a good chance you may get to travel a few times. Whether it’s driving a couple hours to another town, or on a plane, there are plenty of opportunities to travel. Personally, being a photography major, I have gone on two trips to photography conferences so far in my two years; one in New Orleans, and the other in New York City. Before I got to college, I’ve never been on a plane before. And having this opportunity for a fraction of a cost is well worth the cost.

Impress your friends.

Nothing is as more impressive than getting an award for your art. There are plenty of opportunities to showcase your work in the student gallery. Whether it be a student art contest or a required review, your friends and others can easily go see your art on the wall with your name under it.

One less test to take

Usually for the final, you choose a few of your favorite pieces that you’ve done throughout the semester, and then your classmates critique it and try to help you learn how to keep getting better.

You’ll never have to work again.

In the words of Marc Anthony, “If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life.” If you get excited about history, be a history major. If you get excited about art, be an art major. Just do what you love, and then it’ll be more like a hobby than a job, thankfully you’ll get paid to do it.