7 Reasons You Should Read In College, And Not Just The Syllabus

It doesn't have to be as much work as you think it is

47
Unsplash

1. It's like watching tv, but not as mindless

Yes, you do actually have to read the words and pay attention so that you don't have to read the same sentence 4 times, but it doesn't make you feel like a sack of potatoes. You still get to lay in bed and sit under a blanket while doing it. You also still feel like you are being productive because you are still using your brain.

2. You already look at a computer screen the majority of the day so it's good to give your eyes a break

Everyone has heard of whatever study it is that says that computer screens are bad for your eyes or mess with your sleep patterns because of the light or whatever. Reading is a much more peaceful way of settling down at night-- because then you don't have to keep dealing with all those annoying *pings* that come from your laptop as you get all those texts about useless things that you probably won't respond to anyways.

3. It can make you more motivated to do your reading for class

Yes this sounds like a bs thing that you would want to read just for the heck of it AND read for classes, but it makes the readings seem not as daunting. Ya it might be 100 pages, but you just read that many in the past two days so you know it won't be nearly as bad as it sounds.

4. You might get asked in interviews about it

In the past two interviews that I had, they asked me what the last book was that I read and luckily I could think of one that wasn't a textbook or a book that I had read in middle school. It is impressive if you actually read and are not just another mindless college kid who can't be more than 6 inches from technology at all times.

5. There are now books on tape, so you don't even have to do the work

Tons of people listen to podcasts now, so why not just listen to a book on tape instead. If you listen to music in the shower play a book on tape instead. If you listen to music while you walk to class then just play a book on tape instead, the bus drivers do it all the time. Plus if you keep listening to different books then you don't have to keep updating playlists because the songs are getting old.

6. It actually lets you disconnect from everything

When everything is connected by technology sometimes you just want to get out of your own head and not have to deal with real people. Reading allows you to focus on something besides the people that are trying to talk to you. It's nice to be able to just ignore a computer every now and then and not have to see what Rebecca's brother's wife's niece was just tagged in on Facebook. The rabbit hole has a way of getting to us sometimes.

7. It makes you smarter

Obviously this is kinda bs as well, but if science says its true then it's probably true. Think about the fact that you are reading so many words and getting all these new ideas. It makes sense when you think about it, but if you are just watching tv then you obviously aren't really thinking about it.