7 Reasons I'm Glad I Did Theater In High School

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." - William Shakespeare

70
Cultural Weekly

Being a theater kid in high school was one of the most enriching experiences I was able to have. I started in 8th grade and was in a production every year up until I graduated. Unfortunately, with all the craziness that goes on in college, I haven't been able to continue performing. However, theater is still just as big a part of my life as it once was. It shaped me into the person that I am! Here are 7 reasons why I'm beyond thankful for my high school theater experience.

1. It showed me everything that goes on behind the scenes

You really learn to appreciate a production more when you know how much time and effort goes into it before it goes on. Hours of rehearsal, set building, prop and costume searching, and countless quick changes have to happen in order to give a show its magic. As a theater kid, I got to experience all of that craziness and let me tell you, it's 100% worth it when you step out on the stage and do something spectacular. Though everything in life might not require a 5-6 hour dress rehearsal on a school night, something can only be done well if you're willing to put in the time and effort that it does require.

2. It helped me get my first job.

I didn't have a job in high school for several reasons, but once I got to college I was eligible for a work study job. I applied to a couple different places on campus, and eventually ended up getting a job as an usher at the performing arts center. Not only do I get paid to watch shows (a theater kid's second biggest dream behind being in those shows), it has allowed me to indulge my love of theater and music, which I might not have been able to do otherwise due to the craziness of college.

3. It gave me a place to indulge my hopelessly romantic side.

Yes, I still believe in love at first sight, being swept off your feet, and all of the cheesy things about fantasy romance. Is this because I love theater, or do I love theater because it portrays all the enchanting, lovey-dovey things I want in my future? The world may never know.

4. It helped me learn responsibility.

There is so much going on in a production that no one is going to be able to tell you what costume to change into, what props you need, or where to go and when. In addition to being responsible for yourself, you probably have to help one of the leads out with a quick change or help bring the set on at a certain time. In theater, you are responsible for yourself. That really helps you out later down the road when you have to budget every hour of your time on busy days and make sure you have EVERYTHING you need before you leave your dorm and go all the way across campus for class.

5. It allowed me to create some of the strongest friendships I have.

My group in high school was the drama club. We were always together, making theater puns, talking about the show we were in, or casting ourselves in musicals we knew we probably would never actually do. Even though myself and some of the others have moved on to college, we still all talk and make it a point to spend time together when we're home. Going through the craziness of musicals with people builds an incredibly strong relationship, one that can last through any length of time or distance.

6. It helped me get comfortable with myself.

Everyone has parts of themselves they don't particularly like and wish they could change. Though I don't ever try to be, sometimes I fear that I come off as a bit conceited. However, when I got the role of Charlotte in my senior year production of Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella, the role required every ounce of conceitedness in my body. For those of you who aren't familiar with the show, my entire solo song was me complaining about the fact that the Prince wanted Cinderella when he could have had me, the clearly superior option. This role showed me that the things we don't like about ourselves aren't always a bad thing and that sometimes they can actually be useful! It taught me to embrace my flaws because, without them, I wouldn't be me.

7. It left me with so many cherished memories.

Not only do I have countless memories with my friends, I have irreplaceable memories just from being on stage. From the time I was a dancing plate in Beauty and the Beast to when I had a "totally tragic perm" in Legally Blonde, Jr. to crying my eyes out at the final showing of Cinderella, I have had some of the most heart-filling times of my life on stage. That is what I am most thankful for about my theater experience.