7 Reasons Everyone Needs To Experience A Music Festival

Everyone has at least one thing in common when it comes to festivals: They are all there for the music, and to celebrate the music.

784
Rhymesayers

Hip Hop, EDM, Country, and Bluegrass; the most popular types of music festivals. There are so many types of festivals to attend, and I want to give you 5 reasons why you should attend one at least once in your life.

1. The Music - Duh.

Why else would you be sitting in the hot sun for hours on end with a cold one in your hand? Obviously the music is the best part of festivals. Whatever genre the festival is, the hosts have plenty of different music opportunities for you to enjoy. Usually, festivals have multiple main stages going on at once, and a few smaller venue tents here and there for people who want to experience Dive Bar artists. Regardless, festivals are surrounded by awesome music.

2. The People

Everyone has at least one thing in common when it comes to festivals: They are all there for the music, and to celebrate the music. I can't vouch for anything other than Hip Hop and EDM, but if the crowd is anything like those two festival crowds, you're sure in for a treat. Everyone that goes to festivals is there to genuinely have an awesome time; and probably smoke a LOT of weed, but whatever. The atmosphere that everyone creates is so positive, uplifting, and accepting. Everyone at festivals is so happy and energized. I love being around people that lift me up, and want me to have a good time rather put me down. What better way to spend time with your friends than listening to some bomb music and dancing around?

3. The Lifestyle

Summerset 2016 was my first festival and not going to lie, I was not expecting it to be as awesome as it was. I'm not the type to wear drug-rugs, have dreadlocks in my hair, wear cat ears on my head, get hopped on drugs, but I am the type to accept differently lifestyles in, and enjoy good music. That was exactly what Summerset was. The festival "lifestyle" is so different than my usual day to day routine and I'm so glad I was able to experience it. Like I said with the crowds at festivals, the lifestyle is just so much happier, energetic and relaxed at the same time. If you need help, ask anyone around you and they will treat you as if you came with them. Also, festivals can be super sketch, so try not to keep cash or valuables in your back pockets.

4. The Neighbors

Whenever you camp out at festivals, you always have neighbors. If you go out of your comfort zones and go introduce yourself, you could walk away with new friends, new music, and new memories. The memories I have with past neighbors I've met at festivals have been awesome. You literally walk up to their campsite and act like it's your own. Obviously you don't eat their food, and all that jazz but typically you can just go and hang out whenever you like.

5. The Outfits

I feel like "less is more" is the festival mindset when it comes to those who attend. Sometimes I don't believe "less IS more" but hey, not my body, not my say. You'll see a lot of hippie style, boho clothing being worn by men and women. You'll also see the random dude who thought the dinosaur suit was a great idea on a 110 degree day. Often, you'll come across women wearing nothing but cute flower stickers on their breasts, and men wearing short shorts with spikes on them. It's definitely an experience in itself watching people at festivals.

6. The Signs

Um, I don't know how to explain this other than saying people are so fricken creative when it comes to bringing signs to festivals. It's the "Norm" to create a funny sign, and hold it up when you're jamming to the music. A few posters I came across at SSMF were insanely colorful. The Rugrats Dinosaur is a popular one, F*CK TRUMP is also quite popular, and some posters have cool lights strung across and they might just say "Music." on them. Whatever you see, it'll make you look twice.

7. The Experience

Never in my life have I left a music festival, sober, feeling anything but positive and happy. The memories you make, the people you meet, the music you listen to, and the activities you do will stick with you forever. I met a couple at Summerset that was 64 years old, still raving with each other because that's what they did when they were younger. It was f*cking awesome!! I also haven't spoke to anyone that has gone to a festival and said they will never go again. It's such an amazing time to hang out with friends, and create memories that will last a lifetime.

PSA: Don't forget to drink lots of crappy water from their hoses (because you can't bring in your own because apparently Vokda looks A LOT like water. Weird right?) and wear sunscreen. Memorize "PLUR" (Peace, Love, Unity & Respect). Make bracelets. Also bring mace. You're welcome.