7 Practical Resolutions To Make In 2018

7 Practical Resolutions To Make In 2018

As told by the brave doctors of Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital

155
7 Practical Resolutions To Make In 2018
Wikimedia

Breathe a sigh of relief because 2017 is finally over.

Now that the champagne has been popped and the fireworks are over, it's time to look ahead to a new year. Like most people, you're probably trying to come up with resolutions to make yourself some kind of "better."

Rather than sticking to the old, "going to get into shape," "going to work out every day," "going to go to Europe," try out this list of realistic resolutions to grow into the best version of yourself.

1. Resolve to be a better sister/brother, son/daughter, aunt/uncle, niece/nephew, friend, and coworker

Whether you're still living at home or in another state, make it a priority this year to renew and rebuild the relationships with the most important people in your life. Schedule a weekly call with your mom and dad, send your niece a card for every holiday, offer to help your coworkers deal solve an office misunderstanding, or be there for your friends in a time of need.

Making the effort with loved ones will lead to fuller and more well-meaning relationships.

2. Resolve to take better care of your mental health

This is a big one for me.

I had a lot on my plate last year and I often found myself needing to take mental health days just to deal with the stress of it all. This year, find ways to handle your anxieties in a healthy fashion - whether through journaling, exercise, a new hobby, or simply sitting down to read a good book, take time to drown out the world and all of its negativity and focus on yourself.

3. Resolve to work every day toward achieving your true potential

We never stop growing and, therefore, we should never stop learning.

Whether you're in college or graduated or still trying to find your path, spend a couple of hours each day to work on perfecting your craft. Take a certification course and give yourself material for negotiating a raise. Take a freelance writing position or internship (aka, The Odyssey) and boost your portfolio. Join a local organization dedicated to your field and build a network.

Whatever it is, continue to work and grow as a professional and your potential is infinite.

4. Resolve to be honest with yourself about your finances

You cannot truly be considered an adult until you've found yourself struggling with money.

Whether you can never seem to make enough or you have never been able to master a budget, the stress that comes from managing money can be severely detrimental to your physical and mental health. Start the year off right by practicing frugality - put 10% of each paycheck in your savings account and don't touch it; live within your means and only treat yourself to a night out when you have the extra cash to do so; make a list of practical short-term financial goals to keep you motivated throughout the year; download a budgeting app like Mint or You Need A Budget to help you visualize your spending and ways in which you can keep more in your pockets for a rainy day.

Learning to think about money and your finances differently can help to relieve a lot of stress and frustration and will allow you to focus on more important things.

5. Resolve to not let mundane frustrations bring stress to your life

We all live hectic lives full of stress from work and family and relationships and often times, we will let the little things in to bring further chaos into our already chaotic world.

This year, actively work to let go of the little things to make room for the more important parts of your life that can't be ignored. Whether it's an irate customer, rush hour traffic on your way home, or a tear in your favorite jeans, learn to let go of minor frustrations and find ways to be zen about things you can't control. If you can eliminate even a little bit of stress from your already stressful life, you'll find that you have more energy to tackle the bigger, harder issues.

6. Resolve to be a more active member of your community

2017 was a year of hardship for many. From hurricanes and wildfires to protests and policy changes, many of us felt that we couldn't find our place in the world.

We have still have yet to see what 2018 will bring, so take the opportunity to find your niche. Join a local women's group and organize a march for equal pay; volunteer at your local Boys and Girls Club and make an impact on the life of a young person; spend one Saturday a month walking dogs at your local animal shelter; hit the pavement and campaign for a candidate that inspires you.

Whatever you choose, find the people that you can turn to when the world starts to make a little less sense.

7. Resolve to approach each day positively and appreciate all you've been blessed with

Make 2018 the year of positivity.

Whether you're stuck at a dead end job, you're the only single one left of your group of friends, you have a heavy class load, or you can't quite seem to shake those last five pounds, wake up every day and recognize the blessings you have in this life.

Are you healthy? Are you in school? Do you have family, friends, or a pet that loves you? Recognize the good in each day and be grateful for the life you've been given. While you may not yet be the adult version you wanted to be or work at the dream job you've been chasing or found the person you're meant to spend the rest of your life with, you are the creator of your own destiny and absolutely no one can take that away from you.