7 Pieces Of Gear Every Filmmaker Needs On A Trip

A list of film equipment I travel with.

38
Uber Bautista

Planning and packing for a trip always lead to a headache. If you're like me, you leave packing for the last minute and end up forgetting important things. The one thing I do plan ahead of time is packing my film equipment. Without planning, gear is left behind which leads to chances of a marvelous shot being lost. Below is a list of the 7 pieces of equipment I always make sure to bring on any trip I go.

1. DSLR Camera

This is a given, without a camera, there is no chance of getting a great photo or video. I personally use a Canon Rebel T4i, but there are a variety of cameras available based on preference and experience. You can also bring different lenses for the camera but in my opinion, one good lens is enough.

2. A Phone With A Good Camera

Cameras are a hassle to carry around, especially when you're walking around for hours. There are also times in which you forget your camera or it runs out of battery. Our phones are always at hand, and nowadays most phones have a camera with wonderful quality. The only downside to this is pictures and video takes up a lot of memory space, which makes the next item on the list a must have.

3. SD Cards/External Hard Drives

The worst position to be in is recording a video and having it stop mid-video due to lack of memory space. To avoid this I bring an SD card for each day I will be on a trip. If my trip will last for more than one week, I bring an external drive and move all the footage onto the external drive and reuse an SD Card. Not only does this give me an endless amount of memory space to shoot, but it also keeps my footage organized as well.

4. Tripods

Nothing is worse than a crooked picture or a shaking video. Sometimes a crooked picture or shaky footage is inevitable, but most times a simple solution is a tripod. I usually bring multiple tripods, one for my DSLR, one for my GoPro, and one for my phone. Bringing extra tripods is also a good idea if you have space, in case one of them breaks.

5. Laptop

My Mac has been with me on every trip I have taken in the past three years. I hardly ever sleep on a plane, so I take advantage to work during the long rides to my destination. My Mac allows me to organize my footage into folders, making it easy for me to access it anytime I please. The preinstalled program iMovie also allows to me work on editing my footage and turning them into short movies. Aside from my camera, my laptop is one of my most important tools.

6. Specialty Cameras

A regular camera has its limits in what kind of picture it can take. Most DSLR's can't reach an altitude of 600 feet, record underwater, or take a 360-degree picture. That is why specialty cameras such as camera drones, GoPros, and 360 cameras have been created. Depending on the trip, my Phantom drone and GoPro usually come with me. While these types of cameras are not really necessary, they do enhance your chances of obtaining amazing shots.

7. Creativity

The camera only does half the work, the rest is up to you. A creative mind is needed to guide the camera into taking an exceptional shot. Your equipment is only there to assist you in creating something meaningful. It takes more than pushing a button to capture sensational footage.

My film equipment is the first thing to go in my luggage and the first thing that comes out when I arrive at my destination. This equipment gives me the ability to film and create. If you're a filmmaker or want to pursue film this is everything you'll ever need.