7 Pieces Of Advice For The Maturing College Student

Help you help yourself to be great.

689

Hello, college students (or anyone leaving or out of high school). Congrats on being at a point of your life where things are constantly changing; your environment, your friends, your priorities, basically everything. We can all get caught up in this overwhelming stage in life where everything and anything is laid out in front of you. You have things you want to do, people you want to see, places you want to go, and opportunities you want to grab. That's an amazing thing. But, it's important and helpful to know that being in this stage of your life means that the way you handle situations and circumstances comes a little differently than it used to. Along the way, you have to learn how to deal with the life that seems to be jumping back and forth right before your eyes. Here are a few tips I hope will help you along that road to maturing and growing as a person:

1. Figure out your priorities and your values.

College or life after high school in general can be super exciting. You've got new environments and you're meeting new people, figuring out what you want from life. It's super crazy but also super enlightening to say the least. Still, when you're in a state of constant change and movement, it's important to grasp onto what is most important to you, right at this moment. By figuring out what and who is most important to you, you stay focused and motivated based on those values and morals. It keeps you from straying too far away from your roots, making the whole idea of dealing with new obstacles and opportunities a little less daunting.

2. Learn to open up.

If you were the shy kid in class (like me), college might come as a rude awakening to you. After staying quiet and reserved all your life, the idea of networking and collaborating can be extremely daunting. But, if there was ever a more crucial time as any to start helping yourself open up, now would be the right time. You'll learn that opening yourself up and taking on your fears and insecurities sooner rather than later will come in handy. In a setting where connections are crucial and networking is key, being able to talk and open yourself to meeting and working with others is vital. Not only that, but it helps you open up your network to new friends and people who could be valuable and important to you without even expecting them to be. It's difficult but so worth it in the end.

3. Don't hold onto insignificant aspects of your life.

I don't just mean material things, I mean people, memories, insecurities. Like I said before, this stage in your life is the perfect time to work on overcoming insecurities. You are in one of the most empowering stages of your life. You're learning new things and expanding your horizons, so it's time you learn just how powerful and amazing you can be and work with that to be the greatest you. Be passionate, be engaged, be an activist, be strong, be you. Holding onto painful memories and insecurities of the past only keep you from moving forward.

4. Don't hold onto people who aren't a part of the picture anymore.

This can sound harsh because, in a way, it is. The thing is people will come and go, that's just how life is. It's hard and seems unfair but it happens to everyone. Not to sound cliché, but not everyone is meant to stick around. Don't get me wrong, there will be amazing people in your life, albeit friends from grade school to high school that will stick around forever. But, not every friend you meet along the way is meant to be by your side for the long-long. Don't stress over holding onto people that just don't seem to be there anymore. It's not worth it. Things happen. You had an amazing ride together and your friendship was amazing, but maybe right now isn't the time for you guys anymore. That's okay. You can move on and so will they. No hard feelings to hold onto because that's all acceptable and fine. (Sorry this sounds like a messed up love story, I know.) You have to let yourself grow and holding onto people you can't connect with and grow with anymore, won't help you or them.

5. Move on.

There are so many things at this stage in your life that you have to deal with. Finals, projects, papers, relationships, aspirations & goals, internships, jobs, finances, you name it. It's hard to juggle all of that with dwelling thoughts of past sufferings and broken hearts. It's too much. Trust me, I know. Take some time to prepare yourself to let things go, and then see through it to move on. Take the time you need but don't let yourself get eaten away by your own dwelling and grief of your own pain. You don't deserve it. You deserve to be able to move on, grow, and prosper. Let yourself do that.

6. Don't be spiteful.

It's okay to be petty sometimes. I've had my fair share of heated moments where you just can't let something go and that's okay - we're all human. Still, I've realized how crucial it is to understand that we're not in high school anymore. That petty school drama is just too irrelevant right now, especially when you realize that we're at a point where priorities are changing and becoming more serious. Focusing on who said this and who said that becomes so insignificant. Even more than that, reacting to those things in acts of spite or pettiness doesn't help anyone, it only wastes your time and makes you seem catty and immature. If anything you seem way more concerned and affected that the other person because you are taking so much time to carry out an act of retaliation. Of course you shouldn't let people walk all over you and sticking up for yourself and who you are is so important. But, sometimes there are better, more civil ways of going about this. Worry about you. If people are causing problems or making an issue out of something, that's there problem, not your's. You've got so many other things to worry about and I promise you it's not worth it. Focus on what's important to you - is it your future and your aspirations or what you're going to do to get back at some heathen who was talking smack about you the other day? Hmmm.

7. Grow, grow, and grow.

Don't let yourself be stagnant. Take this time of opportunity and maturation and make good use of it. Don't limit yourself to who you always thought you were. Allow change and chance to play a part in the game of your life. Open your eyes to different perspectives and thoughts because your expansion of knowledge is endless and fleeting. Take the time to try things out, learn new things, and open yourself to your peers because you won't get to live this part of your life a second time.

I'm not writing these tips to say they are the only ways to grow and mature because they're not. This list could go on forever and ever and, no two ways of learning to mature as we grow up are the same and work for everyone. I sure as hell aren't remotely close to finishing my list, I've still got a long way to go. Learn to grow the way you deem is best and the way that works for you as an individual. Just don't ever stop growing into the person you want to be. Make all the mistakes along the way and learn from them each time because your possibilities are endless no matter what obstacles may come your way.