7 Life Lessons I've Learned Before My 21st Birthday

Why regret the past when you can learn for the future?

79
kayellaneza.deviantart.com/art/Friends-in-the-Beach-171883373

As I'm maturing more into a young adult every day, I've picked up on a handful of lessons through past experiences. Yes, 21 years is definitely not the most time in the world, but it is definitely more than enough to give yourself a good perspective on life. I've learned that there is a handful of things in life you can prioritize, and no matter what obstacles life throws at you, you'll continue to have a positive outlook on yourself and others around you.

1. Friends Come and Go, But Family Stays Forever.

As time goes on, people are guaranteed to change. Most of the time people are changing for the good, but there are people who change for the worse. Some of those people might have used to be your friends. Once they change in a negative way, they are no longer going to be there for you when you're in need of support. I have lost many friends over the years because they weren't there to support my goals and my dreams. One thing I can guarantee is if I ever need unconditional love and support, my family will supply it to me without hesitation. No matter how bad things may get in my life, I know my family will stick behind me 100%.

2. Nothing in Life Ever Goes Exactly According To Plan.

I can't even tell you how many times plans in my life have changed last minute. I've learned life is all about living in the moment. If something doesn't work out, there is always a second option that will end up better than the first option. It's up to you to figure out that backup plan, and get to living.

3. Nothing In Life is Free.

Life experiences is something that needs to be paid for, whether its paid for with money or emotions. The only way to experience heart break is if you actually go through a heart break. The only way you can experience happiness is if you pay for it with time or money. All these experiences, whether they are positive or negative, are going to shape you into the person your'e going to be 10 years from now.

4. Learn to Laugh at Your Own Stupidity.

I can almost guarantee that everybody has done or said something stupid in their life. It's all about learning to laugh at yourself when you make a comment that makes no sense or you do something stupid where everybody else around you questions why you did it. Laughing is contagious, and will not only make you happy, but also the people around you.

5. Live Life Day by Day.

Don't tell yourself "I'll do this another day, I have time". If there is something you've been wanting to do that's on your bucket list or even something spontaneous, go out and do it. Life is short and you'll never know if you may wake up to live another day. Whatever you do, don't ever go to bed regretting not doing something you wanted to do.

6. Finding the Right Person is Worth the Wait.

Don't be the person who is desperately trying to find a girlfriend/boyfriend. You should be enjoying yourself with friends and family until that significant other walks into your life. In many cases, that person will be introduced into your life when you least expect it. In the mean time, you should go out and enjoy everything life has to offer. When the time is right, I guarantee you will find the right person you've been looking for.

7. Be Yourself.

With all the billions of people in the world, just remind yourself that there is nobody that is like you. What you do with your life and what makes you happy is what makes you the person that everybody wants to be around. You have your own way of dressing, talking, and outlook on life. Continue to be a leader, not a follower, and your happiness will be never-ending.

There will be many other life lessons I'm going to experience in the upcoming years, but for now I am taking these new lessons day by day. You should not be regretting past choices you may or may have made, but instead enjoying today and the future days ahead. Don't dwell in the past, just be positive, and be happy.