7 Human Foods Dogs Can Eat for Thanksgiving

Are you planning to celebrate Thanksgiving with your dog?

24

.

Are you planning to celebrate Thanksgiving with your dog? There are plenty of traditional Thanksgiving foods you can share. Here are some safe human foods your pet can eat if you want to make them a dog-safe meal.

Turkey

There's no Thanksgiving dinner for dogs without turkey. Your dog can enjoy turkey, as long as it's baked and not too spicy, since it is a great source of lean protein.

It's a great alternative to dog treats to serve turkey to dogs in small amounts, as the mild meat won't cause them any harm.

Your dog should get white meat from turkey, and large pieces of fat and skin should be removed. You won't get upset stomachs or more serious issues like pancreatitis if the fat content is low.

Don't let your dog eat turkey bones. When raw or cooked, they tend to splinter and can poke holes in the intestines.

If your turkey is spicy, salty, or you've deep-fried it, but you still want your pet to get a taste of the holidays, try Merrick Turducken's grain-free canned dog food or turkey jerky from American Journey.

Pumpkin

According to petdogplanet.com, pumpkin is great for a dog's digestive system when served properly. A veterinarian might recommend pumpkin for dogs to ease constipation or firm up their stools.

However, pumpkin pie isn't good for pets. It doesn't matter if it's roasted pumpkin or canned pumpkin. When you make your own pumpkin pie, you can set some aside or give your pet a little pure canned pumpkin. It should be 100% canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.

Your dog can still enjoy some holiday flavor even if you don't bake this year with Grandma Lucy's organic pumpkin oven-baked dog treats.

Cranberry

Dogs can eat cranberries, and they may help support urinary tract health. Plus, they're packed with antioxidants.

However, raw cranberries might be hard for dogs to digest. Give your dog some cranberry sauce instead. You should only serve a small amount, and make sure it doesn't contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that's very dangerous for dogs.

You can also give your pup Spot Farms Turkey Meatball Recipe dog treats or Charlee Bear dog treats with turkey liver and cranberries if you want to play it safe.

Green Beans

Green beans that are served plain, without salt, spices, or butter, are great for dogs. They are a healthy snack for dogs that is low in calories and full of iron and other vitamins and minerals. Their high fiber content also fills up your dog's stomach and keeps them full, which may help them stay at a healthy weight.

As a treat, you can just give your dog canned, frozen, or fresh green beans without salt. If you want to add green beans to your dog's regular diet, look for a food like Purina Beyond Turkey and Green Bean Recipe canned dog food that has all the nutrients your dog needs.

Carrots

Carrots are a good source of fiber and vitamin A. In fact, they are used in a lot of dog foods that you can buy in stores.

Raw baby carrots are a healthy treat that can be crunchy, but cooked carrots are easier on your dog's stomach. Carrots can be boiled or steamed, whether they are plain or frozen. Carrots from a can are also fine as long as they don't have a lot of salt or sugar in them.

Sweet Potatoes

Dogs really like sweet potatoes. They have a lot of fiber, vitamin A, and B vitamins. In recent years, this vegetable has become more popular with dogs all over the country. It is often included in limited-ingredient diets, like the American Journey limited ingredient grain-free turkey and sweet potato dry dog food.

You can also cut raw sweet potatoes into cubes, cook them, and serve them that way. You can also steam and mash them, bake or boil them, or do many other things with them. You can also give your dog treats made of dried sweet potatoes.

Apples

Apples are crunchy and sweet, and many dogs love to eat them. They have a lot of fiber and antioxidants, so a small amount is a healthy treat. Make sure you cut out the core. The seeds contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs in large doses or over time in small doses.

Make sure to cut raw apples into pieces that are the right size. You can even put a little cinnamon on them, which is safe for dogs in small amounts. Fruitables' crunchy dog treats with pumpkin and apple flavors are another good way to give your dog a taste of apple, pumpkin, and cinnamon.

Thanksgiving Foods to Avoid for Dogs

Dogs can have Thanksgiving dinner, but here are some holiday treats they shouldn't get:

• Candy
  • Grapes or raisins
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Wild mushrooms
  • Onions and garlic
  • Pitted fruits
  • Chocolate
  • Anything containing caffeine
  • Sugary desserts
  • High-fat items
  • Salty foods
  • Alcohol
  • Any item that contains xylitol

Your vet should be notified as soon as you suspect your pet has eaten something it shouldn't have.