7 Guys You'll Meet On Grindr/Scruff (Possibly NSFW)

It's good to know what to expect before you begin your unknowing journey.

6981
Nick Duffy

To iterate, some parts of this article could be consider Not Safe For Work by some. Discretion is advised.

Anytime I find myself bored at home with nothing to do or anywhere to go, I'll take out my phone and open up a couple of social networking apps and find people to talk to to pass the time and possibly find some form of entertainment.

No, I don't mean Facebook, or Snapchat. I'm talking about Grindr and Scruff.

For those who don't know what either of these apps are, Grindr is, according to their app page, "the world’s #1 FREE mobile social networking app just for gay, bi and curious men." The app allows its users to chat with other gay, bi, or curious guys that are local to them and allows them to share pictures and add people to a favorites list. Scruff, on the other hand, is similar to Grindr, but it allows its users to view and talk to guys from all around the world, and not just those who are local. It includes a whole number of other useful features which you can view from their main site,

Though these apps claim to be mostly social networking, a majority of users use them for hookups, picture sharing, or are hopefuls trying to find "the one." For me, I use it mostly to chat with people. I can say that there have been individuals whom I've met in person through this app and have become awesome friends with, while there are those whom I honestly wished would leave me alone and regret even speaking to.

That being said, I want to share with you, the reader, whether you are thinking of using these apps, what to expect. Rather, who you might end up running into on Grindr and Scruff. For those who are no stranger to these apps, then you will definitely be able to relate, and those whom will never have these on their phones, you might as well stick along for the ride. Here is a list of seven types of guys you will more than likely find on Grindr and/or Scruff.

1. The Portrait

The picture says it all. Or, rather, it doesn't. For some, privacy is of the utmost importance. So, instead of a face picture, they put something irrelevant as the profile photo. It could be a scene from their favorite television show, or just something cool that they found on the Internet. Most of the time, these guys are looking for hook-ups, but you may run into a small few that are actually willing to share more about themselves.

2. The Discreet Dad

These guys are probably the most common individuals you will run into. A decent majority of "DILFs" look for younger guys, maybe half their age, for fun or possible friends with benefits. Though, if you are not the adventurous type who fancies dads, possibly married, on the down low, then the "Discreet Dad" is not for you.

3. The Couple

Once and a while, you'll come across a few accounts where it is dually controlled by (usually) happy couples looking to spice things up, or possibly people with open relationships just wanting to have some fun. Either way, these individuals are pleasant to converse with. They tend to be very friendly and they don't demand, or unwillingly force upon you, phallic photos. I can say from experience that it is worth it to at least meet a couple, or two. Not just for possible sexual activities, but for friends that may end up meaning a lot to you. Also, couples tend to be much more patient and are willing to take things slow.

4. The Model

I'm going to be blunt - these guys are usually quite narcissistic. They also never initiate a chat, but instead wait for you to come to them. As appealing as they seem, they honestly belong more on the cover of Vogue than on a gay social media app.

5. The Torso

If you are seeking a disembodied male torso, then you have come to the right place. People who usually have their chests as a profile picture seem to be a bit hypocritical. They say "you must have a face pic, or don't waste my time." Yet, they are unwilling to share theirs, less you meet their minimum requirements. We get it bro, you have a nice chest. Though, I would like to be able to see who I am actually talking to. Account descriptions are usually pretty detailed, unless they are on the down low. Picture sharing, other than face pics, is usually what you will come across with these guys. That or hookups.

6. The Silhouette

Alright, it's not hard to see that discretion is a common theme on these apps, but, seriously, could you give us more information? Or, any for that matter? Accounts like these, lacking a name, age, and picture usually don't have any other information, other than the fact that there is just a silhouette. Although these accounts tend to initiate more conversations, the people behind the black and gray curtain can end up being your worst nightmare. A chat with them will usually go down in one of three ways. They will say "hi" followed by multiple nude pictures, they will say "hi" followed by a face pic and a paragraph about themselves (which is usually what I prefer people to do), or, they will try to invite you to an event, like an orgy or whatnot, giving you a very detailed book worth of writing on the time, place, date, what to wear, do, say, etc. I tend to block these accounts, mainly because it just seems like spam.

7. The Bot

Like any other place in the cyber world, there are bot accounts, which are not human, and are created with the sole purpose of tricking people into a scam, usually providing a link of some sort in the chat. You can though have a little fun with these accounts by responding in strange or hilarious ways. Bots always initiate conversations, and they always try to entice you into clicking links to watch them "play with their big meat" or view their other more risqué account on some unheard of website. However, as annoying as these accounts may be, you need to take caution when contacted by them. If you can spot right away that they are not human, block them. Don't click links sent by anyone, trust me. Also, if you notice the stats of the bot account, they usually list themselves as being "muscular", "single" and have a height that is honestly impossible. For example, the first picture of the bot account details shows that the user is two feet, four inches, which, again, is impossible. They tend to also steal pictures from other social media sites of guys that either look extremely tantelizing, or simply normal. Just make sure you take caution, and be ready to hit that block button.