I Went Tanning For Seven Days And Here's What Happened

An indoor tanning experiment.

94511
Her Campus

The summer is two-thirds done and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to the beach, or been in the sun at all for that matter. I work every day and my legs are so pale that they're actually reflective on the rare occasions I do go outside during the day. I'm contemplating this when along comes the desire to look like I spend eight hours a day sun bathing, never burning, and becoming as close to a "bronzed beach babe" as I can get. So what do I do? I call up my best friend, find some coupons online, and drive down to my local tanning salon.

Before

Day 1

My friend and I had decided on tanning beds because we wanted something a bit more permanent than spray on. Upon arrival at the salon we filled out a form noting how often we go out in the sun and how easily we burn. For me the answers are rarely and easily. The salon attendant explains to us the difference between different tiers of tanning beds. We walked in with intentions of going in the beds designed for a base tan however after being explained the difference between reddening (UVB) and bronzing (UVA) bulbs we decide on purchasing a platinum tan, a two-tier upgrade. We have a coupon so that we pay for our first session and six more days free. I pay 20-something dollars for the tan and an additional $7 for a packet of red-reducing lotion. The attendant explains that we can only tan for a maximum number of minutes (depending on the bed) every 14 hours and tells us not to worry because it goes fast. She also explains that if you feels your skin burning that means you're getting red and to turn the bed off.

I tan for seven minutes in an "even tanning" bed which is what the salon attendant suggests. There's a timer that gives you six minutes to get undressed and apply lotion. I make sure to apply extra lotion to the areas around my tattoos failing to realize this cream actually has no protective properties and is actually a total marketing ploy. I lay in the bed and cover my eyes with the tiny goggles I was supplied. Whatever you do don't take these off, trust me, your eyes will burn and you'll develop a massive migraine. A minute or so before my time is up I start to feel like I'm burning but I stick it out. After the longest seven minutes of my life I get out and immediately regret not getting a towel from the front desk, I'm very sweaty. I get dressed and my friend and I leave. We both already have noticed more freckles on our bodies.

I don't have any tan lines because I tanned nude however I realized later on that my entire lower back, butt and bikini area were all burnt.

Day 2

Before my appointment I stop at Walmart for a store brand tanning bed lotion and an after tan lotion which prolongs the tan. My friend and I each try different beds than yesterday. I wear underwear today to protect my butt from burning anymore. It just burns worse around the edges of my panties. I really enjoy the tan line though, it's not something I see on myself often. I notice the only parts of be burning badly are the parts making contact with the bed (shoulder blades, butt, lower back).

Day 3

My butt and lower abdomen are so badly burnt that I actually sort of want to die. My friend is in the same boat and we agree to take a day off.

Day 4

Beauty is pain so we go back to the salon for more. I talk to the salon attendant about my options regarding the burning. She suggests either laying on a towel of trying the stand up bed. I opt for the stand up bed. Standing inside I liked better how all of my sides were tanning (as opposed to how the bed kind of misses one side) but disliked how bored I felt. I kept moving around. I didn't burn, however, but my feet and hands didn't tan because of how you have to stand in the machine.

Day 5

At this point I'm feeling my confidence skyrocket. I love being tan, however have 12 hours of work and no time to go to the salon.

Day 6

Today I try another new bed, The S-Class, in addition to laying on a towel folded just under my butt. This is my favorite tanning bed. I up the time inside to nine minutes. I'm starting to find the solitude and confinement almost therapeutic. I skip the tanning lotion. I notice I become less tan without using the lotion. I also tried out one of those little palm tree stickers which the salon offers to create tan-art on myself. It doesn't really do anything noticeable.

Day 7

Our last day tanning. I find myself looking forward to getting in the bed and dreading it being my last day. I use The S-Class again, reapply the palm tree sticker in the same spot, and use my lotion. The palm tree is only noticeable to me when I'm done tanning.

I discuss with my friend the probability that I will continue tanning after this, perhaps once a week, as I've noticed an upswing not only in my confidence but also my skin's quality--less body acne and fewer dry skin patches.

After

A photo of my friend and I the day of our last tan.

All in all I would definitely tan again. If you have never tanned indoors than I definitely suggest giving it a shot so long as you follow the recommendations of your salon attendant.