Seven Things College Students Should Do Before Starting The Summer

As the summer approaches, finals are completed and excitement ensues, but to have a stress free summer, some things must be done before.

2
Nathan Nguyen

1. Triple check all of your paper work.

The worst thing that could happen to you is this: you leave for the summer thinking that all the work for you scholarships, enrollment, and programs are all straightened out and good to go. All of a sudden, you get back a week before classes start and something is missing! Maybe you forgot to mail of an application for a scholarship you needed or you never really finished registration for you all of your classes! Start a stress free summer and make sure you’ve got it done.

2. Make a goal for the summer

With the summer comes a double edged sword called time. There’s a lot of it. A good thing to have during the summer is a goal. It can carry you through the times of social drought where you have nothing to do and nowhere to go. Ever wanted to do something that you didn’t have the time to do during the academic seasons? Well, now is your chance! With three months of free time, knock out that building project or enjoy the hobbies you just couldn't do (even if that hobby is sleeping). The worst thing you could do is sit around feeling like you have nothing to do.

3. Talk with your employer and request off

If you plan on leaving for any amount of time during the summer, it’ll be a drag if unfinished business is always in the back of your mind. While you go down that waterslide, all you’ll be able to think about is how your dreams are going down a slide because you did not check with your boss and are probably going to get fired. Don’t risk your financial future for a but of fun. In the words of Wiz Khalifa: “work hard, play hard.”

4. Make a budget

The summer can get very expensive very quickly. Take a moment and write down everything you think you want to do then make rough estimates on how much each thing will cost. With this information, make a budget. Not being able to pay for you books next semester is not going to be a fun situation to be in.

5. Use a planner and schedule everything you want to do

Summers are busy times… in a good way! However, like any other day, you do not want to double book. Going to that amazing beach house for a week? Well, don’t make an appointment with the optometrist for that week! Want to hike up the Appalachian trail with some friends? Well, don't tell you family that you can baby sit your nieces and nephews for the same time (unless they want to go hiking). Don’t be a slave to split decision making and make the decision early.

6. Apply for financial aid

College is expensive (as you may already know) and paying for it out of pocket is not an option for most. Sit down and fill out the application for that financial aid. It’ll prevent you from pulling large loans and your hair out at the beginning of the semester.

7. Collect contact information of anybody you want to keep up with before it’s too late

Networking is a great career building tool, so use it. Ask for numbers and emails of any people that share a major with you! They make great study buddies and may have some connections for you since you are in the same field. Also, you never really know if you’re going to bump into someone again, so don’t miss the opportunity to maintain a great friendship!