7 Of The Best Holiday Episodes On Television

'Tis the season!

48
AV Club

What is better than a good than a great holiday television special? The romance, the snow, THE DECORATIONS, and THE FOOD! This writer says nothing! Tis’ the season to curl up with hot chocolate and enjoy these amazing holiday offerings.

1. "The West Wing": “Noël.”

"The West Wing," Aaron Sorkin's comedy of errors and triumphs of the fictional Bartlet administration, may be at its best with “Noël”: Joshua Lyman is in therapy, President Bartlet wants to sign all his Christmas cards by hand, and CJ Craig tries to solve a mystery of a woman and a painting. This is not your typical Christmas episode. Sure, there are gorgeous decorations and live orchestras and bands playing Christmas carols throughout (with Yo-Yo Ma amazingness to top it off). But the traditional “holiday episode antics” take a back seat to a thoughtful, heartbreaking, and at times downright funny look at PTSD and the courage it takes to get help. This is one of the best episodes of "The West Wing" ever, and it's sure to fill you with holiday cheer!

Best Moment of Holiday Cheer: Leo's speech to Josh. Trust me -- some of the best writing of Aaron Sorkin's career. Try not cry; I dare you.

2. "Community": “Abed’s Uncontrollable Christmas.”

"Community" was always at its best when it was at its meta-ist, and this is surely that. The comedy about the rag tag group of misfits at Greendale Community College always dared to go out of the box with tribute episodes (like the pillow fight epic in honor of Ken Burns, and the many amazing iterations of “the paintball episode”), and creative ideas (like the ongoing multiple tim line arcs, started in the amazing “Remedial Chaos Theory”). This is no exception, as Abed, the director and pop culture guru of the study group, imagines everyone in the form of stop-motion animation -- much to everyone's concern. This episode has everything: Christmas-soaked visuals, nostalgia-y stop-motion, and a tribute to the polar express. Best of all, its themes of acceptance and friendship in the face of overwhelming weirdness makes this a stand-out episode. You should check out for yourself.

Best Moment of Holiday Cheer: Too many to count; it could be everyone's amazing imagined costumes (baby Shirley for the win), or every moment with the amazing John Oliver (yes, I realize that he’s the villain, but he is just so delightful). However, I've got to give this spot to the final song/battle. Nothing spells 'cheer' like uniting to defeat a common enemy -- I mean, sing about what Christmas is about!

3. "X-Files": “How the Ghosts Stole Christmas.”

There are two kinds of “X-Files” fans: Those who adore the overarching storyline of conspiracy and alien abduction, and those who love the “monster of the week.” Me? I am the latter. There’s something so fun about watching Scully and Mulder solve crime and flirt without being paranoid about government surveillance and evil politicians skewing the truth (it’s 2016 and this list is about escapism, God damnit!)! This “X-Files” episode (of the “monster of the week” variety, naturally) has everything you could want in a spooky holiday episode: Set of Christmas Eve, suicide pack, and lovers possessing the souls of those who enter a creepy Maryland house. Come for the creepy case, stay for the always-charming banter of Scully and Mulder.

Best Moment of Holiday Cheer: Mulder and Scully exchange gifts (even though they said they wouldn’t!). Merry Christmas, shippers, and have a Happy New Year!

4. "Downton Abbey": “Christmas at Downton Abbey.”

This list would not be complete without BBC (which rules the Christmas-special universe). I could have chosen "Sherlock" or "Dr. Who," but I decided there was something especially Christmas-y about "Downton Abbey." This period-piece epic is about beautiful people with even more beautiful clothes; the sagas of “upstairs” or “downstairs,” which heralded critical acclaim; and fandom obsession. This "Downton" episode has everything: Trials, scandal, ended engagements, and marriage proposals. The holiday mood, though? That’s thanks to the wonderful Downton party that unites servants and employers with punch, presents, and a huge Christmas tree. Egalitarian, no? Go and watch, and decide for yourself!

Best Moment of Holiday Cheer: Should it be another shipper moment? Maybe not, but I have to give it to the proposal we waited years for -- that ends when it starts to snow. How do you get better than that?

5. "Fresh Off the Boat": “The Real Santa.”

"Fresh Off the Boat" has a lot going for it: 90s aesthetics, intersectional feminism, and family unit-based humor. This underrated comedy rises above most sitcom fare, and, most importantly, is really, really funny. The Huangs are battling over Santa in this episode; that’s right -- it’s Christmas, and our favorite family is trying to figure out how to deal with Evan’s love for the chubby, bearded man in a red suit. The analyzing of Santa’s shortcomings (lack of college education, and the fact that he is “labor, not management," to name a few) is worth the price of admission. Everything else that follows is icing on a very funny cake. I can’t go into much more detail without ruining the charm and magic, so go watch for yourself!

Best Moment of Holiday Cheer: Jessica’s portrayal of “Chinese Santa Clause." Everyone should see themselves in their heroes, and this is one amazing (and hilarious) one at that!

6. "Bones": “Santa in the Slush.”

I’ll admit that this episode may be the most morbid on the list (including the "X-Files" one), because it includes dead Santa. That’s right, the crime fighters of the Jeffersonian Institution have to find out who murdered a Santa impersonator (but is he really an impersonator?). The crime of week is enough to make this episode worth checking out, but the subplot? Pure shipper gold. Brennan needs a favor from the District Attorney, and what does she want in return? A three tugboats-long kiss between Brennan and her will they/the totally will partner Booth (the attorney is feeling “puckish”). The result is swoony and hilarious -- see for yourself and see if you agree!

Best Moment of Holiday Cheer: That kiss (that’s WAY longer than three tugboats).

7. "Parks and Recreation": “Ron and Diane.”

"Parks and Recreation" -- oh, how I love thee. This dearly departed show was a combination of amazing actors, amazing writers and truly hilarious ideas. What other show could make an episode about a character getting the flu and make it so incredibly funny? All the great things about the series is present in this episode. The butt of all office jokes, Gerry, throws a party, but April, Andy, and Tom are left outside (in the funniest iteration of “the little match girl” ever). Gerry (and his perfect wife and three daughters) throw one mean holiday party: The episode has all the lights and ambiance you could want from a Christmas episode. The true joy of the episode, though? Knowing that Gerry has a good life outside the Parks Department (where they are really mean to him -- yikes). Throw in Lucy Lawless' (XENA!) guest spot as Ron’s girlfriend (and perfect match), and this is a great holiday staple (that you should definitely check out for yourself).

Best Moment of Holiday Cheer: (*Spoiler Alert*) April, Andy and Tom are all invited inside to the holiday party fun (despite their overall bullying of Gerry -- He rises above; tis’ the season after all).

So what episodes do you TeVo every winter break? Which episodes do you want to check out from this list? What episode did I miss?