7 Best "Game of Thrones" Moments Every True Fan Remembers

Spoilers: The greatest moments from HBO's hit TV show, returning this July.

35
YouTube

HBO announced last week the premiere date of "Game of Thrones" season 7: July 16. There will be seven episodes this season leading up to the final season premiering hopefully next year.

In honor of the announcement of the seven episodes of the seventh season premiering in the seventh month of 2017, here are the seven best moments of "Game of Thrones."

Note: When I say best, I don't mean the most crowd-pleasing. I mean the most narratively, visually awesome, twisted, and sometimes sadistic moments of the shower.

Spoiler Warning: Turn back if you have not watched all 6 seasons! Seriously! Do it! Don't even think about it!

7. Daenerys burns the Slave Masters

There are so many iconic moments from Daenerys storyline. Yet, her single utterance of the word 'Dracarys' is defintely my favorite. She cemented her role as TV badass by claiming 8,000 soldiers for herself while also ordering her dragon, drogon, to burn the man she had just sold him too. It was a moment that showed her confidence, her attachment with Drogon, and the power she will have moving forward in the show.

6. Battle of the Bastards

With a whole undead army looming over Westeros, it is amazing how incredible this skirmish is that will be viewed as a petty problem moving forward in the last two seasons. But, in under an hour, the filmmakers crafted the greatest battle ever seen on TV, and even better than some battles seen on the big screen. It was gritty. It was dirty. It was terrifying. And it was, in the end, immensely satisfying. Seeing the good guys win out for a change is so refreshing and a wonder to watch.

5. Hold the Door

Probably the saddest moment on the show was simultaneously watching Hodor die while also learning the reason he only says the word, "Hodor." One of the most pure and fan-favorite characters on the show did not deserve this. If anything, he deserved to be on the iron throne. Still, it was heartbreaking, but also narratively unlike anything we've seen before. I thought it couldn't be any worse than Jon Snow's betrayal. And George R.R. Martin said, "hold my beer."

4. Oberyn vs. The Mountain

Oberyn Martell quickly became a fan-favorite on the show in less than one season. He was some one we were ready to latch onto and see where he could go. We should've known better. But, that was a tense scene. Expertly choreographed and without a doubt the most violent and brutal death in the six seasons of "Game of Thrones." It left the collective audience with our mouths wide open wondering how the hell is Tyrion going to get out of this one.

3. Ned Stark's Death

The death that started it all. No is safe. It's something the viewers are so attuned to now and honestly we shouldn't have been that surprised. Ole' Eddard was sitting in prison for two episodes and Joffrey's always been a little menace to society. How i wish we could have it back. But, Ned Stark's death was a game-changer that sparked ahead the events of the rest of the series.

2. The Red Wedding

Another one of those moments that blew the minds of "Game of Thrones" fans everywhere. The whole episode was so well crafted and written. So much suspense leading up to one of the most shocking events of the show. We knew something bad was up, but we didn't know how bad. I think a little part of us died during this episode, along with Robb Stark's unborn child.

1. Hardhome

I would argue that this is the greatest moment on "Game of Thrones." After all, this is what we are leading up to: an intense show down between Westeros and The Night King's Army. But, this episode was incredible. The suspense the moment those dogs started barking. Jon Snow smashing a white walker to smithereens with his Valyrian steel. The Night King raising the dead back to life. It was so well-shot and gave us the first glimpse of what Season 8 will be. Except, there might be a few more deaths.

Unfortunately, I had to cut so many great moments from this list. If your favorite moment isn't on here, don't yell at me. Yell at George R.R. Martin, David Benioff, and Dan Weiss for creating too many awesome moments for one TV Show.

"Game of Thrones" returns Sunday 7/16 on HBO.