7 Benefits Of Growing Up With Severe Acne

Even though it knocks us down from time to time, we can be thankful that it made us a little more humble and stronger because of it.

94
123rf

I've had really bad acne for as long as I can remember. It all started in 7th grade when I started getting pimples on my chin and got a Clinique concealer to cover it up. Since then it's escalated more and more until I was in 10th grade and it got so bad that I finally went on accutane. Absolutely horrible experience, and the worst part is that I still got acne afterwards. I have scars all over my cheeks and even though most people say they don't notice it, I still see it every day.

Over the years of constantly trying new products and remedies to cure my skin, I've finally learned to just accept it. Acne is considered gross or not attractive, but yet it's something we all go through at some point or another. We look at it as a bad thing to have, but there are some positive things about growing up with acne that will make you appreciate that you had to go through it.

1. You honestly don't care anymore if you get a breakout here and there.

Breakout on picture day or on the first date? No problemo. It doesn't knock down your self-esteem because you know you'll recover from it. You already have tricks up your sleeve, and it will be gone before you know it.

2. You are more health conscious.

You've realized by now that food impacts your skin like crazy. Maybe you cut out dairy, junk food or eat less sugar. Your skin is directly telling you that you are eating something that is not good for you. This is a huge benefit because you don't get to eat whatever you want, which will cause you to have less health problems later in life.

3. You're not shallow.

You realize that people are more than their outer appearance suggests. You are less quick to judge people because you know that everyone has insecurities. In this way you are also drawn to more real down to earth people.

4. You've probably become a pro at makeup.

Since you are constantly looking for ways to cover your acne, you've probably gotten a really good routine going. You always have the newest foundations and concealers and chances are your friends will ask you to do their makeup for them since you're such a pro. Even if you're a dude, I'm sure you've pulled out some concealer here and there and no one even noticed.

5. You look confident AF when you decide not to put on makeup.

When people see your bare skin and your acne/ acne scars they think wow, that person really doesn't give a shit. That is super attractive to people when they see that you have accepted yourself for who you are completely.

6. You've built up a tough skin.

People can tell you all they want about how you should try this new product, or that there is a new diet to help with acne and it doesn't bother you anymore. You know very well that you have tried everything under the sun and they can get out of here with their opinions.

7. You realize there are a lot more important things in life than appearance.

You know that there will always be people who have clearer skin than you and at the end of the day no one really cares. What's more important is that you're happy with

Remember that your skin doesn't define you. Wear makeup if it makes you feel more confident, but don't think you're less than because of it. Realize that it will go away someday and if people care, they aren't people you want in your life anyway. Even though it knocks us down from time to time, we can be thankful that it made us a little more humble and stronger because of it.