6 Ways to Deal with Stress

6 Ways to Deal with Stress

How to Make Life a Bit Easier During Midterms

3
6 Ways to Deal with Stress
Flickr

Every college student knows what stress feels like. In fact, most of us know it all too well. So here are a few ways to cope (from least to most healthy), as we dive into midterms.

1. Junk Food

For some people, food is the most tempting way to deal with stress, and there is no shortage of junk food around. Whether it's unlimited Haffner pizza, chicken tenders from Uncommon, or a giant bag of cookies from the bookstore, it will give you a glorious minute of relief from staring at your Chemistry textbook. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary, if incredibly satisfying, solution.

2. Netflix

When the work seems to be piling up, Netflix can seem like your only friend. It is always there with the next episode of Parks and Rec or Breaking Bad to distract you from that 5 page paper you haven't written yet. However, that paper will still be there when the episode is over, so maybe keep your binging to a healthy minimum.

3. Coffee

A good cup of coffee before some late night studying might be helpful, and it might give you just enough energy to get through that final problem set, but five cups in a night is, sadly, not advisable.

4. Real Food

While junk food might not be the best option, it is still very important to make sure you are eating, even when you are buried under textbooks and highlighters. Try to get in a piece of lettuce or two between sets of flashcards.

5. Exercise

Though exercise can really suck, it does help with stress. Taking a break from reading to go get on a treadmill will make you feel ten times better while also giving you time to listen to music or watch TV without feeling unproductive. Also, if you're feeling super motivated, you can even hop on a stationary bike with that book you never read for your English class.

6. Sleep

And finally, the best way to combat stress is to make sure that you get a good 8 hours of sleep a night. Sleeping improves your memory and gives you the energy to do well on exams. So, put down the books, shut down your computer, and go to bed.