3 Ways to Get Called a Racist (Without Actually Being a Racist)

It's 2016 and everyone is offended.

68
IWF.org

It's 2016 and everyone is offended, triggered or pissed off at something that is not in line with their personal views; at least that’s illusion social media gives. People now have a convenient outlet for all of their opinions, frustrations and unsolicited advice that in the past, one might have just kept to themselves. It's not just easy and convenient to spout off your viewpoints online… It's cool. Social Justice Warriors, Tumblr Activists - even that quiet barista with the dreadlocks at the hip artisan coffee shop down the road seems to get a lot of attention and fulfillment through latching on to the latest social movements battling things such as homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, sexism, misogyny, anything involving the far right, etc. It’s understandable, hell, I even get a rush off having a heated argument in the comments section of some poor random old lady’s Facebook post. We all like to feel knowledgeable and important; and what better way to do so than to point out the faults of others?

Despite the vast array of “isms” and phobias that can be placed upon an individual, one of the most common (and frowned upon) is “racist.” Makes your skin crawl, doesn’t it? In this self-proclaimed “progressive” and “tolerant” society, being a “racist” is the ultimate low, and if you’re some sort of public figure, you can kiss your career goodbye if the media labels you as such. Yes, being racist is a big no-no. Treating someone differently solely because of their race is obviously not something a decent human should do, but nowadays it is increasingly easy to be accused of being racist without actually being racist. That’s right folks, do anything on the following list and you are a prime candidate to get an earful from a “tolerant” progressive about how racist you are, without actually doing or saying anything harmful to any race! Let’s get started. NOTE: This applies to all races. Black, White, Hispanic, etc. Anyone can be called a racist.

1. Criticizing how a racial activist group chooses to protest

Due to heartbreaking recent events that the public has decided are racially motivated, racial activist groups are hitting the streets in impressive numbers all across the nation to support a cause for the greater good. However, despite initial good intentions, many of the protests have resulted in violent behavior, damage to public property and blocking of major highways and roads for several hours at a time.

Over the past couple of months, you’ve probably witnessed peers on social media expressing their concern with these types of tactics, only to be shut down by activists accusing them of being against their movement altogether and, of course, being a dreaded “racist.”

It's happened to me numerous times lately. I want to go on record saying that groups like BLM have the right idea (i.e. large peaceful protests of multiple races joining together) but we need assistance in assuring that these protests actually stay peaceful. If we want to improve racial relations, not perpetuate them, major activist groups need to learn how to accept and build off of constructive criticism. There is a massive difference between being entirely against a movement and being concerned about certain tactics being implemented that could possibly cause harm to the general public.

Throwing stones could injure or kill somebody. Blocking a major highway could prevent an ambulance or doctor on his way to work from reaching its destination in time, resulting in the loss of a life. Don’t put in danger the very lives you are trying to save. Keep protests peaceful and don’t get offended if someone brings attention to your faults. Your cause will flourish by repairing them

2. Agreeing with Donald Trump on like...anything

Hate him or love him, The Donald is doing quite well on his quest for presidency. His strong opinions on illegal immigration and radical Islam are prime bait for being labelled a racist, and agreeing with any of it could put you at the risk of being stuck with the nasty label along with him (in the eye of the far left obviously). Whether or not the man actually is a true racist could be debated, considering neither “illegal immigrant” nor “Muslim” are actual races; but that’s another argument entirely. Simply agreeing with Donald Trump, or even wanting him to win the election does not make you a racist by default. That’s not how things work.

Hillary Clinton has proven to be a bold faced liar, there’s no debating that; but that doesn’t mean that everyone who wants her to win is also a massive liar. Mel Gibson is the ultimate Jew-hater in Hollywood. Be careful not to accidentally enjoy one of his movies or you might be advocating for the Third Reich in no time. Grow up people, just because someone agrees with the man on political policies doesn’t mean they “hate them Mexicans” or want the confederate flag hung outside every school in America.

3. Not agreeing with Islam

Radical Islam is a hot topic right now. Europe can’t seem to go more than three months without some sort of attack in the name of Islam, and America just experienced its worst act of terror since the attack on the World Trade Center on 2001 (also by Islamic extremists). People are terrified right now. Anyone with common sense can see the difference between radicalized Muslims and the ones you and I see on a daily basis here in America, but many people find disapproval of the Islam ideology altogether, and are sometimes accused of being racist for doing so.

Let me start off by reminding you that “Muslim” or “Islamic” is not a race, therefore no matter how much someone bashes it, they are technically not being racist or even xenophobic necessarily. Islam is a political, judicial ideology with a large religious component. Some believe that even though it is said to be the “religion of peace,” it may more about submission than true peace. Several suggestions of violence and execution against nonbelievers and oppressive demands of women are found throughout Islam’s holy text; the Quran. Whether or not you believe any of this, I encourage you to stop and think before you go off on someone for criticizing someone for disapproving of Islamic beliefs and principles. It's perfectly acceptable in liberal society to point out hypocrisy and fallacies in the Christian faith even in in mainstream media, but as soon as someone starts spouting off about Islam they are accused of racism and xenophobia and shut down.

Everyone has different opinions. Some people are definitely racist, but if you’ve been called racist for any of the above, or have assumed that someone is racist because of the above, I urge you to reconsider. “Racist” is thrown around very lightly these days but it can have serious implications. Let’s try to see through people’s political beliefs and get to know them face to face before slapping a label on them. Rant over.