6 Must-Watch Ted Talks

6 Must-Watch Ted Talks

TED Talks offer lessons that you must watch and rewatch.

25
6 Must-Watch Ted Talks
ted.com

We've all been there, you're on YouTube probably browsing for some video of a baby giraffe and its mother (no? just me?) when you suddenly land on a Ted Talk with a promising title. Then an hour passes by and now you're on your fourth video of some inspirational speaker with the big red blocked letters in the background. I don't blame ya, I've definitely been there once before. OK, twice. OK, it happens at least once a week. However, regardless of whether you're a die-hard Ted Talker or not, these are six of the videos that have inspired me the most. Hope you like them!

Does School Kill Creativity? (Ken Robinson)

“Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.”

Looks Aren't Everything. Believe Me, I'm A Model: Cameron Russell

“Cameron Russell admits she won 'a genetic lottery': She's tall, pretty and an underwear model. But don't judge her by her looks. In this fearless talk, she takes a wry look at the industry that had her looking highly seductive at barely 16 years old."

Everything You Think You Know About Addiction is Wrong: Johann Hari

“What really causes addiction — to everything from cocaine to smartphones? And how can we overcome it? Johann Hari has seen our current methods fail firsthand, as he has watched loved ones struggle to manage their addictions. He started to wonder why we treat addicts the way we do — and if there might be a better way. As he shares in this deeply personal talk, his questions took him around the world, and unearthed some surprising and hopeful ways of thinking about an age-old problem.”

The Price of Shame: Monica Lewinsky

“In 1998, says Monica Lewinsky, 'I was Patient Zero of losing a personal reputation on a global scale almost instantaneously.' Today, the kind of online public shaming she went through has become a constant. In a brave talk, she takes a look at our “culture of humiliation,” in which online shame equals dollar signs — and demands a different way.”

The Power of Vulnerability: Brene Brown

"Brene Brown studies human connection -- our ability to empathize, belong, love. In a poignant, funny talk at TEDxHouston, she shares a deep insight from her research, one that sent her on a personal quest to know herself as well as to understand humanity. A talk to share."

I’m 17: Kate Simonds

“This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. Kate Simonds, senior at Timberline High School, is 17. Take a deep breath and a quick inventory of what feelings come to mind when you consider a 17-year-old. Now watch this talk and prepare to have your thoughts flipped inside out.”