6 Most Underrated Songs Of 2016

6 Most Underrated Songs Of 2016

A few things from last year you will want to keep around.

55
6 Most Underrated Songs Of 2016
Rolling Stone

2016 was certainly a year of highs and more noticeable lows. Now that we hit 2017, it’s time to reflect on the hidden gems that we couldn’t dig up in the year before. This list consists of independent music released during last year. The list of songs is in no particular order because I have no intent to discourage the quality of any track based on ranking.

Dirty Mercy – Gin Wigmore

Gin Wigmore is a folk rock artist from New Zealand. “Dirty Mercy” is the lead single off of her fourth studio album slated to drop in 2017. Wigmore expands into new territory with her instrumentation and vocal delivery. “Dirty Mercy” dabbles in punk rock vibes. Wigmore utilizes a fender guitar to highlight her new sonic vision that puts her whiskey-tinged voice into full throttle. “Dirty Mercy” reminds the listener that punk isn’t dead (or punk vibes at least).

I Can Only Stare – Sleigh Bells

Sleigh Bells returned to 2016 with a stellar new single “I Can Only Stare” off of their fourth album “Jessica Rabbit”. What makes the song underrated is its craftsmanship and "earworm" quality. “I Can Only Stare” melts with industrial sounding synths, shimmering guitars and Krauss’ newly utilized vocal range. Guitarist Derek Miller steps back to help accentuate Krauss’ gifted skills as his finger picking was the forefront for the band since their beginning. Lyrically, Sleigh Bells tackle longing for love in their typical fashion. They inject innocence with abrasiveness with the melodic cadence of Krauss’ voice. “Do you know how it feels, knocking on your door, till my knuckles bleed”. It’s intriguing, to say the least.

Doing it to Death – The Kills

“I know we gotta slow it down.” In comes the lead single off The Kills’ fifth studio album “Ash and Ice”. Alison Mosshart and Jamie Hince have been a duo since 2003. Composed of echoing synths and a guttural guitar base, “Doing it to Death” proves itself to be in the vein of a usual Kills’ tune while keeping up with the times. Hince followed the production of electronic beats while frontwoman, Alison Mosshart put the weight of her production into her lyrics. We cannot undermine their success for having a career stretching over a decade, Jamie and Allison still display a refreshing affection towards one another, proving that rock music can hold a band together, even when their sound is due for a tune up.

Something to Believe In – Young The Giant

“Something to Believe In” is the second single from Young the Giant’s third album, “Home of the Strange”. The song is influenced by the story of immigration as three band members had immigrated to the United States during their lives. The song is carried with frontman Sameer Gadhia’s gorgeous voice, who blends smooth and serrated vocals throughout the track. Whether pertaining to the idea of American freedom or any false prophecy provided by this nation, Gadhia reaches out his hand to the audience with a stern album narrative. It is also bold and more coherent step in Young the Giant’s growth as a band. They have shown great promise with a brave and notable subject matter.

Wish That You Were Here – Florence and the Machine

Florence and the Machine created another stunning track that was contributed to the Tim Burton dark fantasy film, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children titled, “Wish That You Were Here”. With a run time of nearly seven minutes, Florence and co. have created a lush baroque-like orchestra. Since Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children’s overarching theme is family and belonging, Florence poured her heart into the production. While away on tour and expecting the birth of her niece, Florence sings “And I never minded being on my own, then something broke in me and I wanted to go home, to be where you are”. The track delves into longing for one another. The intimate and familiar theme is relatable to those away from home.

There Will Be Time – Mumford and Sons feat. Baaba Maal

Inspired Mumford and Sons worked with Senegalese singer Baaba Maal to produce this unexpected release. “There Will Be Time” follows the usual Mumford and Sons format. Marcus Mumford soars above themes of adoration and eternity for his lover. Maal splices in his self-reflective lyrics of personal growth and hope in love. Paired with his signature rasp, this track relishes in their newfound influence of Johannesburg.

This, of course, isn’t the end to the other fantastic but lost songs of 2016. This unranked list is for your enjoyment and will hopefully broaden your musical palate. Here’s to 2017, with much more great music to come.