7 Things Only People From New Hampshire Understand

Live free or die!

166
The Huffington Post

In New Hampshire, we seem to have it all: 18 miles of coastline, all four seasons, real maple syrup, and the remnants of the Old Man of the Mountain are just a few of our favorite treasures. People who aren't from the 603 don't understand what New Hampshire life is really like. Here are seven things only people from New Hampshire will understand.

1. Politics here are... interesting

We hold one of the first primaries in the country, so we help set the precedent for presidential candidates. We're also a major swing state. One minute, we vote Republican. The next minute, we vote Democrat. We can never make up our minds. It has its perks, though: Getting the opportunity to meet candidates in New Hampshire is a custom. Facebook friends of mine have been posting pictures of themselves with Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

2. Snow days are for emergencies

After this past winter, we can handle any amount of snow Mother Nature throws at us. Snow days seem to be reserved for those days where Maggie Hassan declares a State of Emergency. That doesn't mean students don't check social media to see if anyone "got the call."

3. Iced coffee can be enjoyed all four seasons

Now that I think about it, I see more people drinking iced coffee than hot coffee. We can handle the cool, creamy drink year round. The cold never bothered us, anyway.

4. Massholes are the worst

Oy vey. Seriously, living in southern New Hampshire is the worst. Everyone from Massachusetts takes advantage of our tax-free shopping and cheep booze, all while causing at least 20 accidents on the way here. The speed limit for our highways are 55 mph for a reason. Massholes, this is your invitation to admit that New Hampshire is the best state of all time.

5. We all know who this guy is

For as long as I can remember, Fritz Wetherbee has graced our television screens during his nightly segment on the local television program "New Hampshire Chronicle." When it comes to all things historical in New Hampshire, he'll tell ya the story.

6. No one knows we exist

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2015%2F11%2F19%2F6358354860806425461278774072_Harry-potter-who-are-you.gif&ho=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com&s=371&h=d5181ed7a71bc9195046cea84329f3c6fc373328f1113d31c8411545791d4c27&size=980x&c=4288820048 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2015%252F11%252F19%252F6358354860806425461278774072_Harry-potter-who-are-you.gif%26ho%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn1.theodysseyonline.com%26s%3D371%26h%3Dd5181ed7a71bc9195046cea84329f3c6fc373328f1113d31c8411545791d4c27%26size%3D980x%26c%3D4288820048%22%7D" expand=1]

I went on vacation to Florida once, and my family had the chance to meet a woman also staying at our hotel. When we told her we're from New Hampshire, she gave us the most confused look. "You mean in Connecticut?" No, m'am, New Hampshire. "Oh, right, it's its own state now." M'am, New Hampshire's been a state ever since it was the ninth to ratify the Constitution of the United States. *sigh*

7. New Hampshire is a part of us

People may not know who we are, or that our state exists, but we know where we came from and how living in New Hampshire has shaped us. You can take the girl out of the 603, but you can't take the 603 out of the girl, and I'm proud to be from New Hampshire.