6 Things I've Learned From A Toddler

The older you get, the more you learn. You learn different things from different people, like parents, elders, teachers, friends, and even toddlers. When my niece was born, I thought I would be the one teaching her things, but it’s actually been the other way around. I soon realized that there are things toddlers are just more knowledgeable about than adults (or almost adults).

• Sharing. Sometimes you just don’t want to share what you have with others, and that’s okay. Some things are just meant for you and no one else. Like your gold fish crackers or your favorite book (and especially not your baby doll).
  • Napping. It’s only 2 o’clock in the afternoon and you’ve already had to deal with more than you can handle in a day’s time. The simple solution is a nap. A nap could fix almost any life problem.
  • Laughing. Have you ever had one of those days where nothing seems to be going right and every thing you do ends up in a big mess? Well, I’m here to tell you that the easiest way to make yourself feel better, is to just laugh it off. Laugh at your minor mistakes and never take things too serious.
  • Crying. Sometimes life will become more than you can handle. There will be people that will knock you down. You’ll become overwhelmed and the best way to relieve that stress is to just cry. Take from a college student, stress crying is a common occurrence.
  • Loving. Every time I go to my sister’s house, my niece is always at the door to greet me. She always wants to give hugs and kisses, and cries when someone leaves. She loves everyone and everything (other than tomatoes) unconditionally. She sees nothing but the good in everyone and accepts everyone for them. (People should really take notes on this one.)
  • Patience. Taking care of a child takes a lot of time and attention. Most of the that time you spend trying not to pull your hair out or scream. I find the easiest way to deal with a tough situation is to breath. Stop what you're doing and just breath. It works wonders. I promise.

I’ll eventually have my day to teach my niece all the things she wants to know. But, until that day, I guess I’ll continue learning things from her. And that's perfectly fine with me.