6 Things Fitness Fanatics And Dieters Hate To Hear You Say

Please, just let me diet! I don't need your two cents.

62
S.E.C.O. Group

I can’t be the only one in the world who gets annoyed whenever someone tries to convince me I don’t need to diet. I’ve dieted before and been successful at it, but then life happens and you fall off the wagon. It’s no big deal and everyone does it. However, the criticism and negativity you often here when you tell people you want to lose weight, even though it sometimes seems positive, can be very irritating and discouraging.

1. “Love your body the way it is.”

Just because I want to improve my body so it is leaner, fitter, and healthier, does not mean I don’t love my body. In fact I think it means I love it a lot! I am willing to put in the hard work to make it the best it can be, so why do you have to act like that is a bad thing?

2. “You’re beautiful/handsome the way you are.”

I know that! When did I say I was ugly? Even though I am deciding to diet and live a healthier lifestyle, it does not mean I think the current me is unattractive. It simply means that I know I will feel even more attractive when I look in the mirror every day and know the body I have is one I worked hard to get and can be incredibly proud of.

3. “Make sure you do it the healthy way.”

Nothing more irritating that someone who isn’t very fit telling you how to be fit. When I say I want to diet do not assume that that means I’m going to starve myself or take drugs. It just means more fruits and veggies.

4. “Well I’m happy with myself just the way I am!”

This line usually comes from people jealous of your determination and dedication to pursue your own fitness goal when they don’t.

5. “Just eat/drink it! You’re young, live a little!”

Yeah I’m young, so this is the best time to start the healthy lifestyle, like eating right and going to the gym as often as I want, before life gets in the way too much (i.e. jobs, marriage, kids etc.)

6. “I thought you were dieting?”

Yes I am dieting, and yes this is a doughnut. It is called a cheat day, and they are allowed to happen, so don’t make me feel bad about it.

Don’t let anyone convince you that you are dieting for the wrong reasons. If you are dieting for yourself, to be healthy, to feel good and to be happier, then those are all perfect reasons. Of course, be healthy and smart about how you lose weight. But other than your doctor’s approval, the rest of the world’s opinion about your fitness and health do not matter. You do you, and ignore the haters, because come swimsuit season, you’ll look great and they probably won’t.