6 Subscriptions Worth Having

6 Subscriptions Worth Having

Here are my top 6 subscriptions worth having and how to save on them!

471
6 Subscriptions Worth Having
Headspace Perspective

If you're like me, and money is a little tight, you might be thinking "Katey, come on, you know college kids can't afford subscriptions." I'm here to offer some affordable solutions to certain subscriptions and tell you about a few that don't cost that much at all. There's always ways to enjoy the content you love and I want to show you ways to save, as well as new subscriptions you may not have heard of. If you're someone who pays rent and maybe cannot afford a cable plan, subscriptions like these are a lifesaver.

1. Netflix

The easiest way to save on Netflix is to share it. A lot of people I know already share a Netflix account with their parents. My best friend put me on her Netflix. If you live in an apartment, consider having the four of you share an account. Chances are, you're going to put it on the TV and have movie nights with it or maybe end up marathoning shows together. Suddenly the $8 Netflix subscription becomes $2 per person, if you live in a four person apartment. Also, compared to paying for cable, $8 is a wallet saver. You get access to a lot of movies and a ton of shows to binge, plus entire seasons of many current shows, if you're willing to wait a bit.

2. Hulu

Again, the easiest way to save on Hulu is to share it. Like Netflix, it's $8 and much cheaper than paying for cable in this economy. In my case, my friend has a profile on his Hulu for "friends" that I use. Hulu allows profile switching on most devices, so if you and your roommates all want to watch (most) currently-on-tv shows, Hulu could be the way to go! Hulu has shows that Netflix doesn't and gets new episodes right away.

3. Spotify

While Spotify isn't really a shareable service, there is a big way to save on this music streaming service. If you're a college student, you can pay half the price for Spotify at only $4.99 per month. It can be made sharable through the family plan, so if you and your roommates are willing to split that, it's also an option. Spotify by itself is free but if you want Premium access you can really save money during your four years at college. I personally think my Spotify subscription is worth it. I can get access to new albums and most of my favorite songs and artists through the streaming service. There's also podcasts, custom-made playlists, and more.

4. Seeso

This one may be relatively new for most people. I only discovered it after the McElroy brothers put a show on it that was exclusive to the network. Seeso is a subscription much like Netflix and Hulu to find shows you love without paying for cable. They don't have as many shows, but what they do have makes it worth it. Beyond my obvious favorite, "MBMBaM," they also have shows such as "Saturday Night Live," "The Cyanide & Happiness Show," and "The IT Crowd." If you like "Rick and Morty," they have "Harmonquest" which is a cartoon DnD quest by the creator of "Rick and Morty," Dan Harmon. If you're a big fan of Monty Python, you can find Monty Python's "Flying Circus" there as well as his movies. Some other things that make Seeso stand out are that it's only $3.99 per month, you can earn free months, and your first week is free to give you time to decide if you like it.

5. Amazon Prime

I'm not sure if this counts as a subscription, but it's definitely worth it if you use Amazon a lot. Amazon Prime itself is pretty expensive, but also not in the grand scheme of things. It's $99 a year, which is good when you think about it because most people will pay $8 a month for services such as Netflix. In the long run, Amazon Prime can save you a lot of money if you purchase from Amazon a lot. The student price for Prime is $49 a year. If you're smart and sign up before you start college, it's a big save for four years. Textbooks tend to be cheaper on Amazon, too, so you can get free shipping on cheaper textbooks while you're at it. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention - when you pay for Prime, you get another set of streaming services! With Amazon Prime comes Amazon music and select movies and TV shows that stream on Amazon.

6. Maximum Fun

This is the most unique of the subscriptions I'm recommending to you. MaxFun is an organization that produces podcasts, all of which are free to listen to. So why do I recommend subscribing if they're already free? Because at just $5 a month, you can get an amazing amount of bonus content for all of Maximum Fun's shows. The donor tiers go up and currently they're doing their yearly fundraiser. I think it's important to donate to subcription services like this because the people who produce these podcasts don't actually make too much money from them unless we, the listeners, can donate. I think we take podcasts for granted, because they're free. As Justin McElroy pointed out recently, donating to MaxFun makes sense - if you're willing to pay for Netflix, why aren't you willing to pay for podcasts? We take advantage of podcast producers too often. We instead listen to them on iTunes or Spotify and they don't get much money for it.

There's tons of other subscriptions I've heard of and want to try, but these are my tried-and-true recommendations for you. Many of them are shareable, which can cut costs, while others give great student discounts. There's so much good content out there to enjoy, why not check it out?