6 Restaurants To Visit If You're In London

The English diet.

25
Bunni Punch

Since living in London, it has been indicative that food has been the thing I have used the most money on. It's just so good!

There are many places to eat when living in London. Here are a few of my suggestions, all of which have changed my life for the better.

1. Nando's

Originally from South Africa, this chicken dining restaurant is present in many locations in the London area. From chicken wings and veggie sandwiches to tenders and chips galore, there are a lot of good options for a decent price. My go-to is usually the chicken tenders with 2 sides (garlic bread and mashed potatoes personally) and a Fanta soda, which has free refills! It's about 10 pounds or so and fills you right up! You even get to choose how spicy you want your chicken! The service is great and it is the perfect place to eat with friends if you want to pay separately as you have to go up and order individually.

2. EAT

While this might sound basic, I love EAT. EAT is a pre-made sandwich chain originated in London. It has so many good options from sandwiches, wraps, and fruit, to so much more. There is one right by the London center where I have classes, and during lunch sometimes, I will go to EAT and get my traditional ham and cheese sandwich, banana, water, and chocolate caramel bar. It's very cheap and mostly everything is around a pound or two. Definitely worth checking out.

3. Pret

Pret, or Pret A Manger in full, is also a pre-made sandwich chain in London. It's honestly so similar to EAT, and there is also one like everywhere, so I often get the two confused. It has similar options to EAT, with a lot of healthy options all around. I prefer EAT just because of the name, but Pret is just as great and basic.

4. Goddards

If looking for amazing meat pie and mash for a cheap price, Goddards in Greenwich, a little outside central London is definitely a treat. It's still the best pie and mash I've had, as it was my first, and it has made me want to order pie and mash whenever I can.

5. Street Food at Markets

If you want to try really cheap food from different cultures, there are a lot of street food at London markets like Portabello Market and Camden Market. I had chips at Portabello and a pizza at Camden, and it wasn't that bad for the price I paid. Don't think you have to buy extraordinary food at a fancy restaurant, as there are plenty of other options.

6. Pubs Galore!

When in doubt and you want to get good food, the pub life in London is everything. Here, you can get food with drinks at decent prices. They all have crazy names and different dishes to choose from. My new favorite pub in London is ironically called The Maple Leaf, which is Canadian themed and has an amazing raspberry cider and some great food to boot including poutine and lasagna. If you really want famous fish and chips, almost every pub will have their own variation for you to try.

And when in doubt, London will most likely have various international chains like Starbucks, KFC, and McDonalds, as well as various Italian, Chinese, and Indian places for you to check out. When people say London has no good food, they are truly misguided: there is something to eat at every corner.