6 Reasons You Should Know About HOBY

6 Reasons You Should Know About HOBY

Aside from the constant cheering, and outstanding service

911
6 Reasons You Should Know About HOBY
Isabella Bennett

I attended the Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership Seminar (HOBY) in Maryland my sophomore year of high school and it changed my life. I went from the shy, anti-social girl to an outgoing, social person who wanted to do everything.

There are hundreds of different leadership seminars held around the world transforming and inspiring teenagers every year, but HOBY is one that is really special.

Leadership seminars offer students the tools to grow and be successful in endeavors that they choose by presenting them with the skills to become a confident, intelligent leader, while also giving them an unbelievable support group of peers and mentors.

At my first HOBY MD leadership seminar, I was placed in a group of other sophomores who like me, had been chosen by their schools to attend the seminar. Our two group leaders are people who I now consider great friends but also as mentors. The last two years, I have returned as a part of the volunteer staff, and attended a larger HOBY seminar called the Advanced Leadership Academy (ALA). Where I made even more friends, even more amazing mentors, and really advanced myself as a person.

1. An Outstanding Program:

Seminars offer a wide range of programming, whether it's speakers, TED talks, activities, or service trips that allow students to learn about all different aspects of being a leader. One TED talk that especially effected me, and gave me the courage to embrace myself as a leader was one by Dr. Brené Brown. In it she said "Vulnerability is the birthplace of innovation, creativity and change." I think it's a good reminder that being vulnerable is never a bad thing, and that in order to be fair and tough, we have to be vulnerable enough to understand how other's are feeling.

Blake Green says "I was inspired by the 'Breaking the wall of stereotypes'," part of Jamie Utt's The Wall presentation, "Most of all I was impacted by the testimonies from speakers reflecting their life journey's and how they reached their 'destiny'."

Every HOBY seminar is a little different. Some focus on starting nonprofits, others focus on service based leadership, others focus on bettering the youth that attend the conference. However, at the core, every HOBY seminar is built on the same principals: Personal Leadership, Group Leadership, and Community Leadership. It's about how those types are different, and how they are similar. It's about how one person can have an influence in any of those types, even if they are not "THE" leader.

2. Follow Your Passion:

At the Advanced Leadership Academy, we learned the tools to start projects of our own choice, and many have gone through with their projects, like my friend Greg Mytelka who co-founded a marathon called "Walk Off Parkinson's" which educated people about the disease and raised money for the Parkinson's Disease Foundation.

Seminars like this inspire young people to light the flame in their soul. Everyone is encouraged to find their passion and to follow it, wherever it may lead. As Kacy Baum, a HOBY NY Central alumni, said "You can't make a difference or change anything if you don't have passion."

Whether that passion is: service, performing, human rights, or education, we were encouraged to make something out of it. HOBY seminars have a large focus on service, and all seminars go on a small service trip during the conference. Kristina Dyson was impressed by "how much of a positive impact a group of people can make on the world, or even just their community."

Sometimes, people don't know what specific causes they are passionate about, but they have passions in their life. One HOBY MD alumni, Leo Simmons, said "At HOBY everyone was talking about being passionate about an issue, and I didn't understand that at all because I like performing. But the last speaker said that doesn't matter. You can lead by example without leading a particular movement, and if you do what matters to you, it will matter to others too."

Students learn the skills of being a leader from people in all types of fields, whether its comedy, like Chris Bowers, pharmaceuticals like Ashley Perkins-Shrogen, or non-profits like Beth Awalt and Alex Sheen.

All have different passions, but all followed their passions to become successful in life. They all became confident in themselves and in their skills over time.

3. Confidence in Yourself:

HOBY has done great things for it's communities, but especially for it's participants and volunteers. One HOBY NE alumni and ALA volunteer, Kaylnn Stoner said she "finally found a place I belonged, where it was okay to be who you are." Holly Shan, a HOBY MD alumni, learned "not to listen to what other people think about you. Your opinion is the most important."

Tony Terrasa, said he learned to have "Confidence," and to, "start something, don't wait for someone to do it."

Another ALA volunteer, Erik Homberger said "Being yourself means being fulfilled." A lesson I think all people should learn.

HOBY for me, was something that brought me out of my shell. I had always been too afraid to do anything, but as HOBY ended and in the years following I've found myself volunteering for more, taking charge of more, and being more outgoing in general. Confidence is a virtue that is too often lacking in teenagers, but HOBY helps to not only build it but to also offer support in times where it's lacking.

4. New People:

Leadership seminars draw the attention of a lot of people with a wide range of opinions and backgrounds, which offers a unique experience for everyone. One HOBY VA and ALA alumni, Trevor Hensley, learned that leading by example is sometimes just as important as being a leader. He said "I came from a place where racism is common, I've never seen so many people have so much humanity. I took this home with me, and the rate of hate violence went down in my school."

Going to seminars where people's opinions differ from your own, or who's experiences differ from your own, prepare people for life in way's that high school and sometimes even college, can't. Adrianne Holocker remembered a time when her group "had been discussing issues in American society, like stereotyping. There was a girl in our group that practices Islam. She talked about how difficult that can be in society today. Then we all discussed what prejudices we have. It got very emotional and served as a wake up call for all of us. It helped us grow closer and become more aware of societal issues we hadn't paid attention to before."

Daniel Jones, said his greatest takeaway was seeing the "new perspectives from different people."

Landon Twitero, said his favorite things were "definitely the jokes we made and the interesting people I met." Serena Shah, also said her favorite thing was "probably meeting new people and inspiring change."

5. Friends who Empower:

Every time I have attended one of these seminars I have come out a stronger person with new connections and having deepened ones that I already have. Bekah Hurwitz, a HOBY MD alumni put it perfectly when she said "You realize what a huge support system you've gained by participating in the program. It's remarkable to me how I'll go into these conferences knowing nobody and feeling so alone and then by the time I leave I've met so many people who are so sincere and are genuinely proud of me and want to help encourage and support me in whatever I choose to do."

Another alumni, Emily Prechtl, shared Bekah's sentiment, commenting on "the sense of community, everyone's working towards a common goal." Margo Elder, also agreed. She said "My favorite take away from any HOBY seminar was knowing that I'll never be alone. I have friends all over that if I ever need anything they'll be there. It's nice to know that even when I do feel alone and no one is by my side, HOBY will always be there."

Everyone I've talked to about a leadership seminar that they have attended, they always mention feeling empowered by those around them and what their mentors have taught them. Like Jonathan Zoccoli, who said his biggest take away from a seminar was "meeting new people and feeling empowered." You find those friends who want to do something and want to help you do something, anything. That's a powerful thing.

6. Be The Change:

Whenever a tragedy happens, everyone says they want to do something, but very few ever do. HOBY inspires our youth to do something, no matter what they may think is holding them back. It gives them the tools and system to know what you want to do and how to do it so that when the time comes you have a moment such as Deanna Marino when you "have to ask yourself what's REALLY stopping you and coming up dry."

Another MD alumni, Glory Aganze, said "Relationships and Experience equal motivation." Glory brings up an important point of experience. You don't just become a great leader, you work hard for it in smaller leadership roles until you're ready and capable. Leadership and confidence take time to grow in a person but as long as you have something to do and people to do it with, you will continue to grow and want to participate.

Some people go into seminars already leading things inside of their school communities, and some go in wanting to lead but not knowing how. Still there are others who enter not sure of what they want to do. All of them come out as better people, even if they aren't leaving as confident leaders ready to make the world a better place, they are still leaving with the foundation of confidence and leadership skills to build on over time.

HOBY has something for everyone, and even if it's too late for you to attend a seminar, your local HOBY seminar is always looking for volunteers, which in many ways is an even greater experience than being an ambassador. For more information on HOBY, go to http://www.hoby.org/ and check it out!