6 Reasons Why Working With Kids Teaches You More Than You Teach Them

You put band-aids on their cuts and play 'Duck, Duck, Goose', they teach you life lessons.

2250
hdwallpapersrocks.com

Children are interesting beings. They're curious, playful, and are always up to something, whether it is something good or bad. Whether you find that you're not so great with kids or they're your favorite type of people to be around, I think that spending any time with them proves to everyone they all have a lot to learn about life and the world around them. However, I have found that sometimes, the kids that I work with actually teach me more about life and the world around me than I teach them--and they don't even realize it.

Working at a summer camp, as well as having several years of babysitting experience under my belt, I have been given the opportunity to work with kids for some time now, and they never fail to amaze me in their lessons. I have compiled a list of just a few of these lessons that kids have taught me, just by being themselves.

1. How to support others, despite whether or not they are friends.

Growing up, kids are taught the golden rule: "treat others the way you would want to be treated." Unfortunately, in the judgmental world that we live in, once you grow up it is difficult to support others and ignore the things we don't like about people just because we know that it's the right thing to do. Young kids, however, always support each other, despite whether or not they like each other. I've seen a group of kids that never played together because they didn't get along, cheer each other on to win games. Seeing things like that teaches me to always support others, no matter what my opinion of them is.

2. How to forgive.

Kids can sometimes hurt each other (both accidentally and purposefully) physically and mentally, and disagreements occur often. However, it is so much easier for them to simply request an apology, receive one, and forgive. They move on almost instantaneously, and never hold grudges against one another. As an adult, this is much harder to do. We tend to hold on to those grudges and take a while to forget when people hurt us. Witnessing these children forgive each other so easily makes me think about the people who have hurt me, and how simple and more satisfied I would be if I were to just forgive and forget.

3. How to find happiness in the little things.

Children can find happiness and entertainment in the most basic of things. Some kids just think it's absolutely fascinating when they find a shiny rock on the ground, and others can make games out of a piece of paper and a paperclip. The way they look at life is the way I strive to look at life. I think being able to find so much joy in such little things is so beautiful and touching, and I think they enjoy life much more because of it.

4. How to get back up after getting knocked down.

After getting knocked down, sometimes they cry, sometimes they need a few minutes to be by themselves and then rejoin the group better than ever, and sometimes they hit the ground and bounce right back up. Figuratively, this is very inspirational. It shows me that sometimes it's okay to cry or take a breather after life hits you hard, as long as you get back up and keep going. Life can be tough sometimes, and resilience is necessary. Kids are really good at it.

5. How to be patient.

Although kids may not be the most patient kind of people, working with them has taught me patience like I've never known patience before. They test your emotions, and they most definitely make you work. Keeping track of all of them and answering the numerous "when is lunch time" and "why can't we play outside" questions puts your patience to the test everyday. I have learned to adapt, and I am the most patient I have ever been so that I can continue to give the kids I work with the best experience.

6. How to love.

This is most likely the biggest and most important lesson kids have taught me. The way they treat others, the way they love their friends, and the way they absolutely adore their parents and light up every time they see them is very admirable. They love with all of their little hearts, and it makes me want to love not only my family and friends, but everyone with that much love.

The kids I have worked with have touched my heart in ways I did not know possible. I admire their spirits, and they motivate me to be a better person. I believe that if we took the above qualities and carried them from our childhood and into adulthood, the world would be a much better place. I love the kids I work with, and I am so thankful for their lessons each and every day.