6 Reasons Why Your Sister Is Your Irreplaceable Best Friend

And as you grow and change, you realize there’s no other love quite like that which you have for your best friends—your sisters.

592
Heather Nelson Photography

If you’ve been blessed with one or more sisters, you know your relationship is an interesting dynamic. Sisters can be crazy, goofy drama queens, but they match you in ways no one else could. Here are six reasons why sisters are your best friends.

1. They’re Blatantly Honest

Sisters are not afraid to speak their mind. Your sister will call you out when you’re being dumb, argue vehemently about your opinions, and when she tells you you look nice, you know she means it. It can be a blessing and a curse, but honesty is the best policy… and it can be pretty refreshing in a world that oftentimes tells you what you want to hear.

2. They Know You Inside and Out

From your ridiculous first middle-school crush to your dramatic fear of squirrels (true story) to the way you cry when you laugh, your sister is the first to know. And she doesn’t forget. You share lots of secrets with each other, which only fuels your sisterly bond… and also fuels the potential for low-grade blackmail.

3. They Can Brighten Your Day Like None Other

Sisters also know how to make you smile. When I came to college, one of my sisters created a package of envelopes for me to open on different occasions. I can’t even begin to express how much joy I’ve taken in the funny notes and letters. Sisters have a knack for getting to your heart.

4. They Share in Your Dramaticism

There is no stunt or scene too dramatic for a sister. From all the years you’ve been alive together, I’m sure you can recount every “movie” or “interview” you attempted to make with a shaky, old camcorder, every elaborate and exclusive tea party, and every trick you played on your brothers or parents. Sisters are just down for that sort of thing. As the oldest sister, I roped my sisters into a lot of drama… but they pulled me into some, too.

5. You’re Proud of Each Other

Whether you’re following in a sister’s footsteps or leading the charge as the oldest girl in your family, you take pride in your sisters. Maybe you got to see them thrive in high school, college, and beyond as you were still little, or it’s possible you’re currently watching your younger sisters live out their dreams in ways you could only have imagined. Either way, you respect and admire them, almost as if they’re a part of yourself.

6. Your Love Is Hard To Rival

You and your sisters have undoubtedly caused each other tears of anger or sadness, but you know your love includes forgiveness. When your sister asks you to forgive her, your relationship stretches and grows a little bit more, because you see that neither of you are perfect. And as you grow and change, you realize there’s no other love quite like that which you have for your best friends—your sisters.