6 Reasons Why I Love My Hometown Of Chandler, Indiana

It's one of my favorite places on Earth.

30
Town of Chandler

What's the first thing that comes to mind when people ask you where you're from? My first thoughts are always things like "small town" and "one stoplight" and "corn". There's nothing wrong with being from a small town, but being from a small town in Indiana, is just the icing on top of the cake. I am from Chandler, Indiana, a small town of around 3,500 people (2013 census), and I am proud of where I come from. Here are six reasons why I love my hometown.

1. The people

The biggest benefit of being from a small town is the people. Growing up in Chandler, I met a lot of interesting people, and it wasn't always because I was just there when they decided to talk. There are plenty of people there who will introduce you to others, and some will get to know you simply because you are related to someone. Between my grandmother, Peggy (whom everyone knows), managing the Family Dollar when it was there, to working with wonderful people like Cindy Taylor, I have managed to be introduced to most of the town, and I love it. There's nothing like the feeling of going home and knowing that you will run into someone you share a fond memory with, or seeing someone at the gas station and having an hour-long conversation.

2. Chandler Elementary School

I also met many great friends in my time at CES. From the principal to my favorite music teacher of all time to the guidance counselor I could always count on, I enjoyed the time I spent there. I, like other students my age, had a difficult time in school, but the staff and teachers there made my days fun and my cares smaller and smaller everyday. I am forever grateful to my teachers, to the staff, and to those who pushed me when I wanted to quit. Thank you for everything you have done.

3. Chandler Celebration Day

From the pageant to the parade, Celebration Days have always been full of great things. From a very young age, participating in the pageants was always my favorite time of the year, and I have the trophies to prove it. I was chosen as Queen in 2010, and went back in 2011 to crown winners and help out. This experience was truly amazing.

Celebration Days take a lot of work. I was friends with people on the committee, and even saw my aunt participate in the action one year and got an inside glimpse of all of the work that goes into finding sponsors and putting the parade together. If you haven't thanked these people before, now is a great time to start.

4. Town of Chandler workers and officers

I love going home and seeing all of the changes being made around town. From police trucks to the changes taking place in the parks, there's always something new to discuss with someone in town. To the people who take the time to volunteer at the meetings, volunteer to be firefighters, and our police officers: thank you for everything that you do in town to make us safer and the town itself better.

5. It's beautiful there

If you haven't seen Chandler in the fall, you are definitely missing out. While it is very pretty and bright in the summer and the snowfalls in the winter are breathtaking, there's just something about fall. The leaves fall everywhere and it becomes this vast wonderland of color. That's one of the greatest things about the town; there's beauty everywhere.

6. We are more interested in the quality of life and the town than everything else

While many people stay on the path to making the most money during their life, it is not uncommon to see people in Chandler donating both their time and money to making the quality of life better for everyone else. That's another great thing about Chandler; there's always going to be someone there when you need help.

My hometown and the people there have had a huge impact on my life. This is something that I cherish now while away at school and it's a place I hope to grow my family in. I cannot wait to share these memories and the place I call home with whomever I marry and our children after that. Chandler is, and always will be, my home, and I could not be happier.