6 Reasons Why Having A Unique Name Is Better

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

1763
Women Of Faith

When people hear uncommon names - names that aren’t Matt or Sophia - they question the parent’s decisions to name their child that “odd” name. People usually say, “That poor kid, he/she's going to get teased on the playground in a few years!" or "Why would someone do that to their child?"

While, yes, having an unusual name might cause you many struggles and difficulties, there are so many reasons as to why uncommon names are better:

1. It will give you character

You might resent your name when you’re a kid, but you'll be forced to embrace your individuality and live up to your name when growing up. Your name will create a distinct personality for you and make you realize that your name is just a part of who you are: a strong, unique individual.

2. It will thicken your skin

When you have an odd name, you have to learn to cope with this fact from a young age because you might have been teased and made fun of as a kid. As a result, you have had to learn to embrace your individuality and uniqueness. Besides, people who say rude things about a unique name are just jealous they got stuck with a boring name.

3. You will always be remembered

You only have to meet someone once for them to remember you. While you may look like just an ordinary person walking down the street, people will associate your face with that “weird” name and will automatically recall who you are. You are never forgotten because your name is a natural memory jogger.

4. You can make all the usernames you want using your name and they will never be taken

It’s always hard or awkward to come up with usernames, so most people just use their names. But having a common name means that the username you want might be taken already. Those with unique names are lucky because they never have to put any thought or creativity (if they don’t want to) into their usernames because they can just use their name.

5. Your name most likely comes with a background story

When you first meet someone, you automatically get asked how your name is spelled, what the origin of your name is, and what the significance of you name is. Every time you meet a new person, you have to tell the same story over again. Your name becomes a huge part of your life story, and you wouldn’t be who you are without your name.

6. You stand out to potential employers

When you’re applying for a job, the first thing potential employers see is your name at the top of your resume. Having an uncommon name will make the people reading your resume become curious about who you are. Simply having a name that no one else has could land you a job that you may desperately want!

So yes, having an uncommon name means never getting your name spelled correctly in coffee shops and never finding a Coca Cola bottle with your name on it. But there are so many reasons why having a unique name is better. Not only does it give you something to talk about with strangers, but it makes you who you are and you wouldn’t be the same without the name you have.