6 Reasons Why You Should Visit Cincinnati

The Queen City has so much to offer

902

Cincinnati, the Queen City, the 'Nati, Porkopolis; whatever your nickname for this amazing city might be, I think that everyone can agree that in terms of cities Cincinnati is one of the best. While on the smaller side when it comes to big cities, Cincinnati has just about everything to offer. From sports to food to activities to great places to live, there is no shortage of anything in our city. These are just some of the many things that make Cincinnati great:

1. The birthplace of baseball

The Cincinnati Reds were the first established team in Major League Baseball. Originally called the Red Stockings, the team is still a huge source of pride for Cincinnatians. Fireworks over the Ohio River, the lights from the Great American Tower and free pizzas from Larosas when the Red's get 11 strikeouts are just some of the best parts about spending the summer at Great American Ball Park.

2. Vibrant (and growing!) downtown

Home to Findlay market, Chicken and Waffles, streetpops, Washington Park, and a rich German heritage, Over-the-Rhine is the up and coming neighborhood in Cincinnati. Young people, artists, businessmen and women and just about every demographic of people are thriving in this neighborhood. In the past, Over-the-Rhine was home to crime and drug abuse and on an economic decline, but with the new businesses and cleanup of the city, Over-the-Rhine has become a place for people to celebrate the beauty that is downtown Cincy.

3. Music and the arts

Cincinnati is home to one of the best conservatories of music in the country and has an incredible music community. The historic Music Hall is home to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and the Cincinnati Ballet. The Cincinnati Childrens Theatre, Playhouse in the Park and the Aronoff Center are some of the most important outlets for theatre in Cincinnati. The famous band Walk the Moon originated in Cincinnati and its likely that in the summertime you will find people salsa dancing on Fountain Square or celebrating music at Bunbury Music Festival.

4. Fun places to visit

Cincinnati may be small, but when it comes to fun things to do, there is no shortage. Cincinnati Zoo, Union Terminal (home to the Museum of National History and the Children's Museum), Cincinnati Parks such as Krohn Conservatory, Eden Park and Alt Park, Kenwood Shopping Center, and Fountain Square are just some of the places that the Queen City has to offer. Just across the river in Newport there is the aquarium, and the Newport shopping center. It is home to a beautiful skyline view of Cincinnati. River cruises are another great way to see the beauty of the Cincinnati Skyline. Take a segway tour, walk through downtown or riverfront, catch a Bengals game, visit the Carew Tower, run the Flying Pig marathon, or enjoy the lively downtown that will never disappoint.

5. Surrounding suburbs

Not only is the downtown area a great place to visit and play, but the surrounding suburbs of Cincinnati are great places to live and raise a family. Some of the best rated suburbs for families are in the Cincinnati area. Mariemont, Wyoming, Montgomery, Madeira, Loveland, Mason, and Indian Hill have been rated nationally among best places to live and most of these neighborhoods have nationally ranked public schools. Historically, Cincinnati has been and will continue to be a great place for families to live.

6. Cincinnati favorites

For the entire world, the combination of chili and spaghetti is a foreign concept and thinking about "chili dogs" as anything besides a hot dog and chili is unknown to many Americans. Cincinnati is home to the 3-way and the cheese coney, and Skyline has become part of the culture of Cincinnati. Skyline Chili is a Cincinnati favorite and a must have for anyone visiting. Don't be fooled, after one bite, you'll be addicted. If you like ice cream, then Cincinnati has what you're looking for. Graeter's ice cream is a hometown favorite and the black raspberry chip is to die for. Looking for pizza? Larosas Pizza has been a Cincinnati favorite for over 60 years and is famous for pizzas along with hoagies and calzones.

Where ever you live or where ever you are from, Cincinnati should be on the top of your list of places to visit in the United States. There is so much to offer in our city and you won't be disappointed. It might be underrated or talked down, but for Cincinnatians, its home.