6 Reasons Why I’m Ready To Go Back To College

Is it August yet?

44

Toward the end of the second semester of the year, there was nothing that I wanted more than summer vacation. Exams were killing me, my wallet was empty, and the beach was calling my name. But by the end of the first week of being home, I definitely missed college. Now, as first semester is on the horizon, here are a few reasons I'm ready to go back to school.

1. The independence.

Hands down, the best thing about college is the independence. You get to choose what to eat, what time you go to bed, where you spend your time, who you hang out with, and, most importantly, if you feel like going to class or not. College is the first time you feel kinda-sorta like a real adult that gets to make real adult decisions. So naturally, when you’re away from college, you’re going to miss the sweet, sweet independence of it.

2. The food.

Forget what people tell you about college students only eating Ramen three times a day. (To be fair, there is a significant amount of Ramen eaten, and when it’s not Ramen, it’s Rice-A-Roni). The food at college is awesome. Most of the time, being in a new place comes with new food. Whether it’s the magic that is Bojangles or the beauty that is a Cookout sign glowing in the distance, I love the food at school. Every college student has a favorite fast food restaurant, diner, on-campus joint, or dining hall meal they can’t wait to get back to this upcoming semester.

3. The people.

I’ve met some of my favorite people this past year while at school. One of my friends and I have a 200-day Snapchat streak going, the guys I used to share a suite with in my dorm and I have an ongoing group message, and I’ve made tons of friendships with people in my classes. College is a great time to make new friends and meet new people, but it seems like as soon as you really start getting to know them and having fun with them, you have to leave to go back home.

4. The sports.

Going to a D1 school means that sports are probably going to be a big deal on your campus. This past year I racked up hours of tailgating, have a passbook full of student section tickets, and crammed into dorm rooms to watch away games on my friends’ TVs. The amount of pride that you feel for your school and it’s sports teams in unbeatable in college. Even my friends who aren’t too big into sports get excited about us beating our rivals or making it into the post-season. During the summer, it’s just a waiting game until football starts back up.

5. The social life.

The social scene at college is amazing. I’m not just talking parties, though those are pretty awesome. During this brief but awesome time in your life, all of your friends are focused around a single geographic area. If you want to see each other, you just have to open your dorm door, walk down your apartment hallway, or catch a bus to the other side of campus. There’s always someone to hang out with and something to do on or around campus. And okay, the parties are great, especially since there are parties every weekend and most weekdays.

6. *sigh* The classes.

I never thought I would be ready to go back to schoolwork, but college has slightly changed my perspective. Homework deprives me of sleep and exams deprive me of the will to go on with my life, but other than that, I love college classes. In high school, you didn’t get much say in the classes you took. But in college, you pick your classes based off your passions, interests, and goals. It makes learning fun, albeit hard, but still fun.

But there is a reason that I’m not ready to go back home from college: My family and friends.

As much as I can’t wait to go back to college, I know that I’ll miss my friends and family from home when I leave. So I’ll just have to contain my excitement for a couple more months and enjoy the time that I have here at home while I can.