6 Reasons Bearded Dragons Make The Best Pets

Reptiles can be every bit as lovable as dogs and cats.
5143

Pet ownership is a wonderful thing. It teaches responsibility and commitment. It also provides us with years of companionship. Plus, it feels pretty great to keep an animal happy and healthy. Most people have dogs or cats, and that's fine. Furry, lovable and friendly, they've been our best friends for a long time. However, other animals, though less conventional, deserve our love too. As it turns out, snakes, lizards and frogs also make great companions! But there is something unique about the bearded dragon–something more pet owners need to be made aware of. Here are six reasons why they make absolutely awesome pets.

1. They like to cuddle.

Bearded dragons are surprisingly easy to cuddle, and are particularly fond of curling up inside of hoodie pockets. They also love to rest on their owners' chests or shoulders. Before long, they close their eyes and fall asleep!

2. They have unique personalities.

Some bearded dragons are sassy. Some are extremely picky eaters. Some are real attention-seekers. Some are easygoing. They are surprisingly expressive, with stares that speak volumes. "I'm not eating this." "I'm judging you." "Pay attention to me."

3. They're incredibly tame (and easy to tame).

As far as reptiles go, bearded dragons are incredibly friendly. They don't mind being held, and they will even sit on your lap long enough to watch a movie with you. Their relatively docile natures make them great pets for first-time reptile owners and children. Still, it is important to keep in mind that newly purchased bearded dragons, as well as bearded dragons that have been "rescued" from abusive owners, can be skittish and agitated. If this is the case, it is easy enough to tame them by offering them food out of your hand, and petting them while they remain safe inside their tanks. With a bit of patience, they will come around!

4. They look cute and silly with things on their heads.

'Nuff said.

5. Building their terrariums can be a fun hobby.

Some people get very involved in the design of their dragons' tanks. They invest a great deal of time and money to make them as elaborate and realistic as possible, making rock formations out of foam and adding miniature waterfalls. You don't have to, but it can be very rewarding for you and your dragon (just don't use sand in your tank--it harms bearded dragons when they unintentionally ingest it).

6. They'll keep you smiling.

Bearded dragons are known for their antics–they'll never disappoint.