6 Real-Life Things We Can Learn By Watching "OITNB"

If you haven't watched Netflix's original show, "Orange is the New Black" or you've lived in a box for the past seven seasons, you are missing out. As I've been quarantined, I decided to re-watch it and I don't regret it. The messages this show sends to us have real-life lessons that we can all learn from. With the wide variety of stories revolving around each character, there is something that will hit home for everyone.

1. Accept your past and move on.

One of the most heart-wrenching seasons of the show is Season 7. It shows the women trying to get back to their unique lives after Litchfield. To most of our dismay, many of them struggle with this change. It is important to accept that we make mistakes but not hold onto them for the rest of our lives.

2. Nothing in life is free.

Through the inmates we learn that to get anything, you must eventually offer something in return. We see the inmates struggling with getting enough commissary money, while others have no problem with it. They use various items such as drugs, stamps and services to acquire what they want.

3. Sometimes plans don't work out accordingly.

Multiple characters in the show such as Piper herself and Gloria struggle with accepting that what they believed their future would look like, was not at all what actually happened. Piper saw a future with her fiancé but after going to prison, her outlook shifted. This can teach us that what we want to happen might not always follow the exact path we dreamed of... and that's okay.

4. People might not always share the same beliefs.

Throughout the show, we see a lot of people relying on the use of religion to survive the Litchfield environment. We also see disagreements over what is right and what is wrong. The fact of the matter is you can't expect everyone to share that belief. There will be people who challenge your opinion, but staying true to yourself is what matters.

5. Rape is never the victims fault.

In a triggering visual involving Pennsatucky and a CO, we see her struggle with facing the reality that she was raped. Due to her upbringing and self-destruction, she believes it was her fault. Throughout the season, she realizes that this isn't true. Although this particular scene is devastating to witness, it's important for us to realize that being sexually harassed is never the victims fault.

6. The truth hurts sometimes.

Throughout the show, we witness Lorna struggling to find "her true love." In the beginning, we learn that her fiancé is actually the one that put Lorna in prison for stalking and breaking into his home. We can tell that Lorna suffers from some form of mental illness, but she is never given the proper treatment. However, Lorna is unable to accept the truth of her life and repeatedly tries to escape her reality. Sometimes, the truth does hurt. But, we shouldn't let that break us.

While watching this series, you will learn more about the prison system itself and the lives of the women there. It truly is eye-opening and highly recommend binging it if you have run out of things to watch this month. No matter how many times I watch this show, the sympathy I feel for these women always comes through. With all its humor, also comes dark times that many of us can relate to in the real world.