Registering for a trademark in India has always been a cumbersome process, involving lots of forms and days of headaches and confusion. With the aim of making the entire process easier for the applicants, the Government of India introduced new trademark rules, which went into effect in March 2017. Unfortunately, many people are unaware of the sweeping changes made by the new rules. So, in this post, we will look into six important changes that you should definitely know about.

Faster Registration

The most impactful change is that expedited processing is now made available to all applicants. What this allows you to do is to send in a request to process your registration swiftly. You will have to pay an additional fee for this. But if you are urgently looking to get a trademark registration, then this new rule will be of great benefit to you.

Online Document Delivery

A new rule classifies all communications made by the trademark office through email as a completion of service. What this means is that, unlike the earlier times, you don’t have to waste time waiting for any communication by regular mail. As such, not only does the new measure resolve the problem of documents being lost in transit, but will ensure that the registration process is completed swiftly.

Fee Difference

There are now two different fee charged for trademark registration, depending on whether you file it online or offline. All filings done online will have 10% reduced fee as compared to the physical filing.

Lesser Forms

The new registration process has cut down the number of forms to be filled, from the previous 74 to now only 8 forms. This not only saves time but will also save people from the confusion that was caused due to the numerous forms.

Registration Of Sound Marks

You can now register sound marks under the Indian trademark Rule 124. When filing the application, you will have to submit the sound in MP3 format, together with the musical notes. So, if you have been thinking of taking a sound mark, then now is definitely a good time.

Video Conference Hearing

In line with its digitization initiative, a new rule also states that any hearing can be made through video conferencing or other means of audio visual contact. This can essentially save you several hours in travel and other expenses.

In addition to the above, many other changes have also been introduced that can positively impact your registration process. And if you need any professional help with registering your business or idea, check out trademark or company registration by QuickCompany. They can help you get any kind of business registration in a matter of days and is the ideal choice if you are looking for a quick, professional service.