6 Things I Have Learned From Working At Concerts

Things to keep in mind for a concert-goer.

641
amazonaws.com

Have you ever been to a concert? Let us reminisce with some feelings: The pure joy when you get the order confirmation after you've bought the tickets. The anticipation and excitement as the days slowly roll up to the date of the show. Listening to the set list that you've researched over and over again. Getting to the venue and chatting to the people waiting in line for doors to open even though they are just a little behind schedule. Getting in and immediately picking a spot as close as you can get (if there is standing room only of course). Chatting with more people who instantly become your friends because you bond over the impact the artist has had on you. The upbeat thrill of the opening acts getting you more and more excited for the headliner. When the lights dim just before they go on and the crowd erupts and loses themselves. suddenly all your worries are drowned out at the sound of what you have been waiting for.

When I started working for a company that put on shows and concerts, there was an inkling inside that was worried that all those feelings (the anticipation, the excitement, the love for concerts) would fade away. When you go from being in the crowd to being behind the scenes, at least for me, you start to look at concerts differently. It is such a top priority (for my company at least) for the audience to have the best possible night they can, while of course, staying safe. Here are 6 things I have learned so far since I started working at concerts.

1. If doors are opening late, there is probably a good reason.

I know waiting outside in the cold can be miserable, and believe me, I've done it too. The thing to keep in mind is that when those doors don't open right on time, its not because we want you to stay outside and suffer. Really, we want all of you to be safe, warm, and having fun, but that can't happen unless we are ready to take you guys in. A little patience goes a long way.

2. Have your tickets out, but don't worry about taking a while.

I actually don't mind ticket scanning. Yes, it is a monotonous task, but someone has to do it. My favorite part of it is seeing all the excited faces ready to lose their minds and party. If your nervous and flustered just to take your ticket out because of all the excitement that has built up (or just anxiety), I want to let you know that no one is judging you. We love seeing excited faces, it helps give our jobs purpose.

3. Bring water, or take advantage of the water provided.

This mostly goes for those people that plant themselves at or near the front all night and don't want to move. I definitely recommend getting a water bottle and keeping it with you. The company I work for has a habit of going up to the barricades and squirting water in peoples mouths so they don't dehydrate. Honestly when I first heard about this, It made me even happier and proud to be one of their interns.

4. If there are people going around with water, don't take it to pour it all over yourself.

Please don't do this! We are trying to keep you guys safe so you can keep having fun. By pouring the water all over yourself, your not just wetting yourself, your getting everyone else around you wet, and the floor is now slippery.

5. Please don't anger security.

Honestly, this should be a no brainer, but it still happens. If there is a security guard telling you too get off of your friends shoulders, it's not because they are trying to ruin your fun. They just want to keep you, the artists, and the staff safe.

6. Don't ask the staff to get you back stage.

Just because we work at the concert, doesn't mean we know the artists, and honestly, a lot of us don't even have the access to get to their dressing rooms... so how are we going to get you there?