6 Classic Disney Rides That Are Here To Stay

There are plenty of rides in Magic Kingdom that have their own history of operation. Some are old, some are new and some are never leaving.

61

Walt Disney World is the happiest place on earth, where your dreams come true and everything is magical. From a friendly mouse to a beautiful princess, there’s something for the whole family. Disney frequently renovates its parks, and when the time comes, they replace older rides with new ones to keep up with what people want to see. Here are six classics that should always stay in Magic Kingdom.

1. Walt Disney World Railroad

The classic real steam-powered railroad has been in service since the park opened on Oct. 1, 1971. The railroad goes all around the park and has stops in Fantasyland, Frontier land and Main Street U.S.A. The ride provides a scenic view through some of the lands, including Adventureland, and of the entrance of the park at the Main Street U.S.A. stop. Providing you with relaxation, scenery and fun, this classic should always remain in service.

2. Prince Charming Regal Carousel

My favorite princess just so happens to be Cinderella, but this really is a classic. You cannot have a park without the merry-go-round, it’s like the cherry on the top of the ice cream. The pictures on top of the carousel tell the story of Cinderella, and it’s conveniently located behind the Cinderella Castle. Maybe we’ll find a glass slipper? With its glimmering lights, beautifully decorated horses and stable carriages, it’s a permanent attraction.

3. Space Mountain

Space Mountain opened in 1975, just four years after the grand opening in 1971. If you’ve never been to space, do not fret, just come to Magic Kingdom. In a completely enclosed futuristic building, you’ll zip, zoom and flash through space with this ride. Space Mountain happens to be my favorite ride at Walt Disney World because it’s always thrilling no matter how times you ride. The ride is completely dark once you’ve blasted off to space, adding to the excitement. Being one of Magic Kingdom’s most popular ride and my personal favorite, Space Mountain is a thrilling classic.

4. Dumbo: The Flying Elephant

Have you ever ridden a flying elephant? No? Well, you can! Dumbo was also opened with the grand opening and has always been a family favorite. After you’ve been assigned to your Dumbo and are buckled up, you’ll get to decide how high or low you want to fly while Dumbo spins around! With time, Dumbo’s wait times were getting extensive, so the park took initiative to create a duplicate and included a play area for kids while they waited in line! Step right up for your chance to ride Dumbo the Flying Elephant!

5. Peter Pan’s Flight

This is another classic still in flight since Magic Kingdom opened in 1971. Board your flying pirate ship and soar along in the classic tale of Peter Pan! You’ll start in the Darling’s family home, soar over London and arrive at Never Land where Peter Pan saves Wendy from the plank, and Captain Hook braces himself from a pesky crocodile! From the enchanting song “You Can Fly” to Tinkerbell’s pixie dust whisking you into the sky, it’s a family favorite! You’ll never grow up, and this ride will always be a timeless attraction.

Disclaimer: You have faith in this ride, and you trust it’s great, but pixie dust won’t get you through the line. Do get fast passes.

6. It's a Small World

Once you say “it’s a small world,” you just start humming the song. This charming boat ride takes you through various countries singing all about how we are all tied together in some way, and how it is, well, a small world! Roughly 300 animatronics are decorated from hair to shoes, and the scenery is decorated to perfection. With 25 countries being represented, you are sure to experience culture in a welcoming and cheerful boat ride! Though the mountains be wide and the oceans are wide, it’s a small world after all. At the end of the ride, you are bid goodbye in various languages, but this ride isn’t going anywhere!

Any Disney Park will bring you happiness and make you forget all of your troubles. So, although these are a few of the classics, there are many more to enjoy. I guess you'll just have to go to Disney to enjoy it all!