The Backstories Of UMaine Hockey Cheers & Songs For The Uninformed Newbies

OK, but UMaine hockey fans are so shady.

1449
Bangor Daily News

During a hockey game at the Alfond Arena at the University of Maine, there are so many cheers and songs that it's sometimes hard to keep up, and for those who don't know what some of those main cheers and songs: yes, we've all been there.

So here's what some of those mean:

1. "Sieve"

Yes, if you're a crazy UMaine hockey fan, you probably don't know how anyone couldn't know what sieve means, but believe it or not, it's kind of confusing for a newbie. So, sieve is a type of strainer or a sifter that allows a lot of things through it. When we yell it, we're yelling it at the goalie, saying that they're basically awful and they let anything through their net.

2. The Referee Song

At the beginning of every period when the referees come back onto the ice, the Screamin' Black Bears Pep Band plays the same song. Some might think that it's just a song they picked at random for the Refs, however, it's actually the song from a commercial that was advertising a male enhancement pill. Yeah. We went there.

3. That one song everyone sticks their arms out for

There's one song that the Pep Band plays where everyone sticks their arms out like a zombie, and you may be confused if you don't recognize that the song is Zombie Nation,buuuuut now that you know, you get the joke.

4. Why everyone pretends like their riding a horse during the song Holy Grail

Obviously, you've never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. During the scene that the song plays, they're "riding", hence the arm stuck out holding onto the invisible reigns, and then when the song stops, why we say "whooaaa, dismount!"

5. What in the hell everyone says after "Go, Fight, Win"

The drums do their little roll and then you say go go go, fight fight fight, win win win, and then everyone in the stadium yells something reeeeeally loud and then they groan. So if you're one of those people that just mumbles and then does the groan, well, let me put you out of your misery. It goes as follows: "Hit him in the head, hit him in the head, hit him in the head with a brick," and then you do the groan. You're welcome.

6. The story behind the song the band plays after the Stein Song

Ah, yes, the beloved song after the Stein Song where the band bobbles up and down and the crowd rocks back and forth. Everyone loves it but do they know where it comes from?

During a championship at an away game, Mr. White, the director of the Pep Band got a call from the rival school of the team we were about to play for the championship. "You've Said it All", which is the song they play after the Stein Song, was their school's fight song, and they asked if the Pep Band would play it during the game to psych out the team we were playing. Long story short, Mr. White made it happen, and the band played our opposing team's rival school's song, and we just happened to win the championship that year. Needless to say, the song stuck and it'll forever go down in history as the shadiest thing Mr. White has ever pulled off. #Legendary