Youngblood by 5 Seconds of Summer Album Review
Music

5 Seconds Of Summer's 'Youngblood' Is A Wild Ride

Hang on tight, kids.

253
youngblood 5 seconds of summer

It has been three years. THREE YEARS since we've gotten an album from 5 Seconds of Summer, the little pop punk band from Australia. The band has released several EPs and two LPs since their debut in 2011. Most notably, they rose to popularity by joining One Direction on their Where We Are Tour in 2015, and had countries around the world bopping to their first hit single, "She Looks So Perfect."

After a three year hiatus, the band took some time to rediscover who they were as individuals, artists, and as a band. The result is '80s pop vibes mixed faintly with The 1975, an album known originally as 5SOS3 turned into "Youngblood." This album is just as infectious (if not more) as their previous releases "5 Seconds of Summer" and "Sounds Good, Feels Good." It draws a more mature adult crowd, in addition to the fans of the poppy punk of the past.

Let's take a look at the deluxe album, which includes three songs more than the regular release.

"Youngblood"

The title track and the second single off of the album is catchy as hell. It mixes their punk roots with the club pop vibe of today. It's the perfect track to jam out to while getting ready for a night on the town.

Favorite lyric: "When you're lookin' at those strangers, hope to God you see my face."

"Want You Back"

"Want You Back" was the first single off the album. It introduced fans and new audiences to the departure of teeny bopper pop to mature adult pop. For fans of their previous work, it may have taken some getting used to, but one thing's for sure, it is a total bop.

Favorite lyric: "Lately I don't trust my brain."

"Lie To Me"

Arguably one of the best songs on the album. I will fight someone on this. The harmonies on this song are incredible.

Favorite lyric: "While I'm cleaning up your mess, I know he's taking off your dress."

"Valentine"

Everyone is pretty much obsessed with this song, and with good reason. It is a song about the honeymoon phase of a relationship, or a relationship that never leaves the honeymoon phase. It's a strong song, but not one of my favorites from the album.

Favorite lyric: "We know we're classic together like Egyptian gold."

"Talk Fast"

This is the song that immediately sparked 80s vibes from me. The beginning sounds like one of those typical 80s pop songs, and the chorus just makes you want to strap on some leg warmers and go to an aerobics class. It's just fun.

Favorite lyric: "I'm kinda hoping for forever, I've been dreaming about a knitted sweater for two."

"Moving Along"

Truly my one of my favorite songs on the album, and no it's not because of Ashton's drum breaks throughout. It's one of those songs that makes you want to scream the lyrics out of your window. One that makes you want to have a reckless relationship so you can sing about stuff like this and mean it.

Favorite lyric: "I know I'm the stupid one who ended it and now I'm the stupid one regretting it, it took me a couple of drinks to admit it."

"If Walls Could Talk"

The best song on the album. Fight me. There's no explanation and no argument other than to go listen to it for yourselves because it is fire.

No it's not because Ashton does the falsettos in the chorus.

Okay maybe a little bit.

Sue me.

Favorite lyric: "You're a queen but I'm crowned"

"Better Man"

Shawn Mendes, is that you? This song is perhaps one of the most departed from what the band has done before, but it still has those lyrics that make you swoon.

Favorite lyric: "Darling, all of my wrongs they lead me right to you, wrapped in your arms I swear I'd die for your love."

"More"

This song is kind of 90s grungy basement rock and I'm into it. This album really takes you through the decades, doesn't it?

Favorite lyric: "Why can't we choose our emotion? Cause we could feel something's broken."

"Why Won't You Love Me?"

A song very reminiscent of Troye Sivan, "Why Won't You Love Me?" is about something so heartbreaking, but still manages to stay with the pop order of the entire album. 10/10. Another yell the lyrics out of your window kind of song.

Favorite lyric: "Rest my cheek against the glass, just be good till I get back."

"Woke Up In Japan"

With all of these songs about Japan lately, it's making me think I need to go to Japan. Not one of the strongest songs on the album, but still good.

Favorite lyric: "A few steps into the open doorway, heart pounding, there's a noise complaint from room 304."

"Empty Wallets"

If you remember "Just Got Paid" by *NSYNC, then this is pretty much the sequel, except you're spending all of your money on your significant other. It makes more sense if you listen to the song.

Favorite lyric: "Sugar caught a break, the fluid ain't to blame for the sugar causing pain."

"Ghost of You"

This is such a clever song, and it's all in how you read into it. It's a hauntingly beautiful song about a past relationship. Fans on Twitter were quick to point out references from "She Looks So Perfect" and "Amnesia." Whether or not the growth between their first album and third album being referenced on this song is true, it's still a great way to end an album...if you bought the regular version that is.

Favorite lyric: "And I'll chase it down with a shot of truth, dancing through the house with the ghost of you."

"Monster Among Men"

I have a love/hate relationship with this song, and it's probably because of how I interpret it. It kind of assumes that all men are trash, and if someone is really bad, they're a monster. It's not that all men are trash, just don't be trash. I don't know. The title just kind of turns me off to it, but it's not a bad song.

Favorite lyric: "Demons hide behind my back, and I can't see them one, two, three, four."

"Meet You There"

This song is also the name of their tour. Clever move, boys. Clever move. This is such a club bop that I will be dancing to for the rest of my life.

Favorite lyric: "We can't speed up the hands of time, but if we're meant to, I'll meet you there."

"Babylon"

5SOS fans will remember the "5 Seconds of Summer" album extra, "Tomorrow Never Dies." I like to think that "Babylon" is the more mature "Tomorrow Never Dies," and it goes so hard. I love it.

Favorite lyric: "I thought we had a place, just our place, our home base, my headspace."