500 Words on The Pressure over Grades

500 Words on The Pressure over Grades

Why Honors Students shouldn't get all of the praise.

16
500 Words on The Pressure over Grades
wikimedia.org

By the time most students reach High School, they are aware of the importance their grades hold. Getting into a college, or being able to graduate, becomes a fast approaching feat and students need to make sure that they succeed. Their grades are set to a high standard and this usually causes the student to put a massive amount of pressure on themselves over what grades they receive at the end of each term.

This importance placed on grades is something I personally despise as a student and future educator. It took me a few years as a high school student to realize that I should be proud of whatever grade I receive no matter what other people are getting. Everyone has a different way of learning and some have different strengths in different subjects. I realized what my weakest subjects were, and I adjusted how I viewed my grades based on that. I wasn't good with Math, so in Calculus, I tried my hardest, and when I got my grade, I was proud of myself no matter what it was. Even if it wasn't an A or B like most of my fellow Honors students got, I didn't care because I was measuring my success by my effort.

Sometimes my friends in non-Honors classes would be upset with their grades and compare themselves to me and I would stop them and tell them the same. I would say that I believe every student should put in their greatest effort and should only be disappointed when they knew that they didn't. For example, if someone fails a test because they didn't study for it, or bother to check what material was on it, they can rightly disappointed in their performance. But if they study, ask for help, and show that they care about how well they are doing, and they get a C or a D, they can be happier. There is always room for improvement, and students need to know that they need to take initiative and advocate for themselves in order to achieve their goals. Just because some students get straight A’s and are in high level classes does not mean they are the best student. A student who always cares deeply for what they do and who try hard and show pride in their grades, no matter what they are, is the best.

And, of course, getting a 4.0 GPA is a massive accomplishment, but we can not discredit those who get a lower GPA and who end up graduating with a smile on their face because they are proud of what they've accomplished. Teachers who are able to praise these students for working hard and showing improvement should be widespread rather than few and all students should be able to have the chance to know that they are appreciated.